Would you ever opt for In-Water Recompression?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John Bantin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
If you were suffering DCI symptoms somewhere remote, would you opt for in-water recompression? There's a free-to-read article about this controversial subject in this month's Undercurrent. What's your opinion? www.undercurrent.org

Most definitely. As long as the requisite oxygen and a buddy were available, might be the only chance to prevent permanent injury.

Yes. IANTD offers an in water recompression course that looks pretty good. I believe it would be a good skill to have for tech divers/DM/Instructors and especially when diving in remote areas.

I think there is a big difference between redoing missed stops and treating clinical DCS, so let's deal with that first.

Most technical agencies have some kind of protocol for "fixing" missed stops. If the gas were available to do that and the diver was able to do it, then I wouldn't even hesitate to take the diver back down and try to un**** his/her stops.

Secondly, there is a difference between DCS hits. Some of clearly life threatening and some can be treated to some extent with oxygen. I've read a couple of accounts from divers who have tried in water recompression where the hits were severe enough that they probably would have died if they hadn't tried it. In such a case, if my options were "try it or die" then I would try it. In that case, you literally have nothing to lose if it doesn't work.

There is also something to be said about planning on a thread like this. If you are going to be taking on severe decompression obligations in a setting in which a diver cannot be evacuated to a hyperbaric chamber within a matter of hours then there ARE alternatives. For example, there are portable recompression chambers available that could allow a diver to be treated on site or even transported to a professional facility while inside the chamber. If the dive is so important that it must be attempted with a huge risk that a diver could die if they surface with unfinished stops then the team COULD plan for that. In other words, if they don't plan for it when they are making big dives in remote locations, then that's kind of lax, in my opinion. Another alternative for planning could be to make smaller dives! nobody forces a diver to make a huge dive in a remote location. That is also a choice.

So to me the issue isn't only about try it or don't try it. Problems can be avoided and contingency plans can be made as well and that must be a part of any discussion about in water recompression.

R..

Not all dives are planned decompression and a portable recompression chamber is impractical for a rec diver. Maybe commercial divers can get one, but not I. I am assuming it is a last ditch effort to prevent paralysis.

hell yeah I would, and have, though it's more completing missed deco obligation than treating clinical dcs with formal DCS tables. I think most technical divers are in that camp. The risk of having to wait is far too high vs. getting back down to where it stops hurting, then coming up as slow as you can

Not all dives are planned decompression and a portable recompression chamber is impractical for a rec diver. Maybe commercial divers can get one, but not I. I am assuming it is a last ditch effort to prevent paralysis.

I don't think a recreational diver missing a few minutes of stops is going to die from it in most cases. Where you hear about people dying from decompression sickness, there is a lot of missed time involved.

You are right about it being impractical for a individual recreational diver but a dive operator who is working in a remote location could consider it and obviously a team of divers who are doing something that requires the amount of logistical and equipment intensive work to make large dives in remote locations could consider it. IIRC they can be leased as well as bought so it doesn't need to break the bank and the current models aren't even (overly) heavy or awkward to transport.

Portable hyperbaric chambers have been around for quite a while. Lightweight ones have been used for treating altitude sickness for quite a while and with better materials there are portable models on the market now that weigh about 100kg and can be compressed to pressures suitable to treat DCS.

All I'm saying is that it's an option. To consider IWR with all of the inherent problems and dangers involved and to NOT consider a portable hyperbaric chamber for an expedition is like flying in a helicopter with no doors and taking an umbrella with you incase you fall out instead of a parachute.

R..

DCI can affect anyone, not only technical divers. People are now traveling all over the world to go diving. It may only be leisure diving but a DCI incident is still a statistical risk. How many liveaboards or resorts in places like Raja Ampat, PNG, the Solomons, Cocos, Malpelo, Darwin etc, have recompression chambers and the medical staff to run them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom