Would you dive with this outfit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This will probably not be the only dive operation on this location. If you feel uncomfortable without a dive buddy, just insist that somebody is assigned to you. It is very unlikely that every diver signing up with this operation shows up with a buddy. However, if you feel uncomfortable diving with them, you might have to choose a different operator.

Thanks for the responses -- they have given me a very different perspective. As at least one responder knows, I'm not too keen on charters telling me where/how/when to dive -- I like the DM to be there to provide me with local knowledge (that rare critter is generally found here type of stuff) -- NOT to baby sit me.

That said, I don't dive solo (well except when I'm with a student, but that's another story) so unless I can find a buddy, I'll just pass on this outfit this time around.

Normally I travel with my own buddy but she's not coming to Maui this time -- and my other Maui based buddy isn't available for this dive. Charlie -- will you be in Kihei on the 6th or 7th of Sept and want to go dive with North Shore Explorers with me? (And no, I won't pay for my buddy unless she's willing to sleep with me on a regular basis!)

That's sooo rich! When I moused over the thread title and read "new operation going places not normally visited" my first thought was NSE. They are on my wish list, and their answer to your question puts them even higher (#2). In Hawaii, they rank #2 in cost per dive, behind the Maui Ocean Center aquarium shark dive. My wish list has Ni'ihau on top, which is a similar cost but you get a third dive.

I will make a couple inquiries to see if there are any deals possible. Tourism is getting hit hard here in the Islands and prices may be more flexible in September. Peter, how would you feel about turning your trip into an article about this different operator? Just a FYI, both of the owners are SB members, but only have <20 posts between them and may not venture out of the Hawaii O'hana forum.

Perhaps if Chris(Deep Q) or Todd(Todd Winn) are lurking, we might get them interested in a mini-invasion for a couple North Shore trips! September would be a good time for instructors and serious divers from all Islands to consider SB invasions. If this were successful we could think about Molokai & Ni'ihau as possibilities. I know the Oahu O'hana has done small island hopping trips.

Well anyway, just a coffee induced pipe dream, but I will check into it with NSE.

IF I could be assured of a teammate with whom I was comfortable I'd do it -- period, end of statement. Writing an article for our local (or other) publication -- not a problem (well, perhaps a problem but that's why God made editors).

I don't have anything against solo diving -- I just don't do it (except, of course, when I'm with a student). I don't think of myself as a technical diver (those are people who are nuts and stay way too long in the water) -- I'm just your average recreational diver who dives doubles 1/2 the time and who loves to dive in the Cenotes. (Doesn't every average recreational diver love to dive the Cenotes?)

Anyway, IF there is someone on Maui who'd like to go out with me and NSE in early Sept. -- I'm coming in on the 4th and could do a "let's get together" before the NSE dive. I just don't want to do my first dive with NSE with a pure insta buddy -- and I hope no one would want to do one with me either.

(OK -- Maybe I'm reading too much into the "advanced" nature of these dives and if that's true, then, maybe, just maybe diving doubles would suffice. NO -- wife says NO -- and I always listen and obey The Wife.)

I'd dive with them. Why don't you just ask them again with a phone call instead of an email? Maybe you or they had a misinterpretation of the subject matter. I'm sure they could provide some calrification. They do go 'out there' to new and unexplored places so you should know what you're doing before you even consider that kind of diving. I would certainly classify it as advanced. That's really the appeal of their services if you ask me.

I like Halemanos idea of a north shore scubaboard invasion. Let us know what Todd says Steve!

You are going wreck diving in New Jersey? :eyebrow: j/k everyone, settle down! :rofl3:

NJ buddy system..."We dive alone together."

(And no, I won't pay for my buddy unless she's willing to sleep with me on a regular basis!)

Keep those comments up and you'll give DIR a new meaning. Divorced in Reno.

Speaking from experience.... North Shore Explorers is as safety conscious as you can get. All divers wear SOS beacon, almost everyone has a safety sausage (and perhaps a reel).

Regarding Solo Diving- they actually allow you to dive your computer and decide when you want to go up- air and computer dependent. I highly doubt anyone will be able to outlast any of their divemasters on air or rebreathers.

Todd (owner/dive guide/all around good egg) allows you to make a safety stop on your own. If you can't do this, then you most likely should not be diving the north shore. You could choose to cut your dive short and go up with another diver- safety stop above the group and proceed to the surface. Personally, I choose to hang out with the dive guide until I'm shivering uncontrollably because their dive guides are highly entertaining, knowledgeable and even play the buddy role quite well.

Very Simple Rules on NSE... don't lose your guide and don't die. This fantastic boat allows you to be the master of your diving destiny. make good decisions and you'll have an unforgettable day. North Shore rocks and I never worry about my safety with these boys. I do worry about getting a sunburn- so bring a hat you can secure and some good sunscreen. Don't forget to reapply!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom