Would you dive with this outfit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it says that we're not going to limit you to 60 minutes, 500psi, and we're not going to stick you with a same ocean-instabuddy.

I like the fact that they take you to places not normally visited!

Now that we're interested, who's the op and where are they located?

Sounds like a reasonable dive operator to me.

They put a guide in the water, but they don't pretend that he is anybody's buddy.

I paraphrase their e-mail as "Bring a buddy or find one onboard. We allow you to dive solo if that's what you desire".

If you want to dive with a buddy, you can do so (as long as you provide the buddy by bringing one or hooking up with someone else on the boat). If you want to dive solo, you can do so. If you want to stick close to the DM and go up with him, you can do so (although I'll bet that if you run low on air before him, he won't go up with you).

Sounds reasonable to me, and not really all that different than many operations other than they don't mind you staying in the water after the DM goes up.

I would dive with them.

You said you are "moderately experienced" so they told you, in effect:

- it's up to you whether you dive with a buddy or not, what profile you follow, etc. - diving for grown-ups;

- a DM will do a guided dive for people who want that but he is not anyone's buddy and will end his dive early.

This describes exactly how several Grand Cayman dive ops are run.

I figure a buddy is like a piece of gear. Unless the dive op advertises that they supply it, you'd better bring your own (or rent one) or hope someone on the boat has a spare. I regularly dive with insta-buddies. I never expect that they will be of any use in the event of a problem and rely on myself. However, in the event of a problem, an insta-buddy might, just might, be of use. Of course, before accepting someone as an insta-buddy, I do chat with them so I can make some basic assessments. Assuming a potential insta-buddy is not a complete loser, I treat that person like a piece of borrowed gear... I adapt my dive.

To the OP: Write the dive op and clearly and concisely ask if they can supply you with a buddy. That will eliminate any ambiguity as to their response.

Way rather that than the operator who makes everybody dive to the level of the person who just got OW certified last week-end.

Like you, Peter, I'd plan to bring my own buddy ... mine might be an AL40, however ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Would you dive with this group?

Most definitely. It sounds like my perfect idea of a charter boat - one that takes you to the site, takes you home and leaves the bit in the middle entirely up to you.

I make it out that, as far as they're concerned, I should plan on diving solo.

Which is what every diver should do regardless of whether they have a buddy or not - Make yourself self-sufficient and then even if you have a buddy you aren't 100% reliant on them for your own safety.

I'm going on a trip next month to a place that has diving (and yes I'm being somewhat vague). There is a new operation there that goes to places not normally visited.

I wrote to the new operation and asked about going out with them, told them I'm a moderately experienced diver but will be without a buddy.

Here is their response:

Now I'm NOT a solo diver nor am I a Kool-Aid drinker -- but I do believe in diving with a buddy.

Would you dive with this group?

(BTW, I will probably NOT dive with them until I bring my own buddy.)

That sounds like a wonderful "outfit" and a refreshing breeze of rugged individualism. Wow, what a novel idea, letting people think and plan for themselves like adults. Who are they?

N

Sounds better than most to me...

But when I clicked on this thread, I was expecting Peter to be dressed funny or something. I should really read a little more carefully! :D

Definately my kind of operation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom