Would you dive with someone who wouldn't share air if you were OOA?

Would you dive with someone that explicitly refused to share air in an emergency?

• Yes

Votes: 56 10.6%
  • No

Votes: 472 89.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Somebody commented a while back that PBs posts had been deleted from this thread. All of his posts have been deleted from the whole board. I think either his feelings were hurt, or he was IDd as a troll and banished.

It's interesting how the term 'troll' is kicked around at posters who may not share the majority group-think..... My opinion is SB lost a valuable new member....PB should have considered using the 'ignore user' option on those members who engage in personal attacks, or who choose to gang up like bullies in a school yard. See Posts 121 and 122 for a clear illustration. The best solution would have been for the moderator to have nipped personal attacks in the bud.

I did not infer PBs troll status from his difference of opinion, rather from his other inflamatory comments such as divers who would share air are dangerous and holding a drowning victim under water until they submit.

As for your referenced posts they look to me more like a caution that his own words were likely to damage his business.

It's interesting how the term 'troll' is kicked around at posters who may not share the majority group-think..... My opinion is SB lost a valuable new member....PB should have considered using the 'ignore user' option on those members who engage in personal attacks, or who choose to gang up like bullies in a school yard. See Posts 121 and 122 for a clear illustration. The best solution would have been for the moderator to have nipped personal attacks in the bud.
While I agree with you in principle, respect is also a two-way street. PB did a considerable amount of trash-talking, which ... in the six years that I've been posting here ... has never been an acceptable way of discussing anything. He attacked many of the most respected, experienced people on this board ... calling them dangerous, untrained, and a host of other less than savory names. Like it or not, this is a community ... and people engaging in that sort of behavior are rarely accepted as part of a community, regardless of what they might have to contribute.

Personally, I would've liked for the guy to stick around ... and I rather suspect that he's gone by his own request ... but I would've also like to see him make his arguments based on their merits, rather than by being dismissive and outright contemptuous of everyone else's opinion.

Once he started down that road, the result was predictable ... what comes around usually goes around ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

FWIW - I've been raked over the coals publicly on another board because of my decision to occasionally dive solo.
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I can't imagine who would do that. But never mind them Bob....come on down to Mullins River and I'll dive solo with you.

Actually what occurred was, unfortunately, inevitable. PH gave (IMHO) dangerous and unsound advice. This is the internet ... that's permitted and that's there for the community consensus to fix.

But he repeatedly made an appeal to authority based on his membership in this group or that, the two that come to mind are something about a statewide research diving safety board at Cal State and some California Diving Accident Board. These are two areas that I am intimately familiar with, and neither group, to the best of knowledge, exist(ed). I made a few calls, sent a few e-mails to other people in both those communities and to the best of their knowledge neither of the groups exist(ed). I sent PB the following PM:

Thalassamania:
When I was elected a National Fellow of the Explorers Club I thought it a big deal. I went to the annual dinner at the Waldorf-Astoria. Being an aviation buff, I rubbed shoulders with some of the Mercury 7. I met General Doolittle and General Yeager. I sat a Sylvia Earle's table for dinner. I went to a private breakfast at the President's flat overlooking Park Ave. I was feeling pretty full of myself.

There was a reception and meeting for new members at the Cub and I went over there. The host was the Club's Honorary President Sir Edmund Hillary. The current President, Charlie Brush introduced us and Hillary stuck out his right hand and shook mine. I stammered something stupid like, "I'm honored to meet you Sir Edmund." he broke out in an infectious grin, chuckled and said, "call me Ed, everyone does … even the Queen." It was then, reflecting in his self-assured humility that I realized just how stuck on myself I had been all weekend,

Ed made a little speech welcoming the new members, the only part of it that I remember in any detail was when he advised us to be careful what we said at the Club, to be sure that our memory was “spot on.” He suggested that, "this is about the only place on earth in which you can rest assured that, even if your talking about the top of the world or the surface of the moon, someone within earshot has been there also."

Good advice for the Scuba Board.

Without PB’s permission, I can not in good conscience, share his response. Permit me say that it was as I had expected , not as I had hoped.

PB should have considered using the 'ignore user' option on those members who engage in personal attacks, or who choose to gang up like bullies in a school yard. See Posts 121 and 122 for a clear illustration.

Please explain how my post 122 is a personal attack. I gave him sound advise as to what I thought was happening in the background. It looks like it was good advise cause confirmed there has been some investigating about his comments about being a member of certain organizations. I think he got egg on his face and needed to back track before he got more.

Good News! For those who miss him, Papa Bear can be found in full flight over at a competing site (think scuba and magazines).
OK, gather round and circle up the wagons

:popcorn:

:catherine: :kicknut: :angrymob: :letsparty: :banana:

:deadhorse:

You know while we're all busy bashing someone who isn't here let me remind you that plenty of you guys bashed the heck out of him. It wasn't a one way street by any means.

Back
Top Bottom