Would you dive with me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes for 1, 2, or 3 - When do we leave!

1- yes cause that the only kind of diving ive done and am very comfortable with it but would want a game plan before we started.
2- no because ive never done it and i would want someone with a little more exspereance than you in case there were trouble.
3- no way in hell with anyone cause like i said before i would want a little more confedence in myself before i would do that.

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. 'Rough seas and strong current' can mean a lot of different things depending who you ask.
Mayyyyyybee if I knew the dive, if conditions aren't bad enough that getting to and following the line is an issue (as opposed to hanging to it and disappearing in the blue the second you let go), if I'm in great shape and feel I can do a rescue if **** hits the fan (and you feel the same), if I'm confident in the boat crew, and with the 'thumb the dive' option ready to fire at any time. And the agreed goal of the dive would be learning how to deal with the conditions/dive with each other rather than reaching the bottom.

Also, there is a difference between the decision once at the dive site (which I think is what you ask), and the planning (driving to the boat dock). I definitely would NOT plan to go in situation 3 without being sure I can find a reliable buddy.

I'd join you on all three!

Fortunately my wife is not on this board so I can talk about her:)

Unless where in the Caribbean in warm clear calm waters, diving with my wife is nerve racking for me. Horrible to say, but it is the truth. She is a vacation diver. Cold water, current, poor vis is simply not her bag. I have given it the ole college try, but it isn't her thing.

As a result I've learned to dive with a lot of different people looking for new dive buddies. Some good. Some bad. Everybody has to start somewhere.

I've found what is important is my preparation, physical, mental and gear wise.

I'd just make sure that we have a clear understanding of what to do and how to do it if something goes awry.

As for me I'm somewhere in that 160+ dives range. Frankly stopped logging after 60. I have to look at my computer. I'm OW, AOW, Nitrox, Rescue and it is looking like I'll be done with DM in the beginning of November. I dive wet, SS PB/W, with steel single 130, slung Al40 pony, with primary on 5ft hose bunged around neck.

I'd totally dive with you.

As I'm sitting here studying dive theory compression, you'd control the dive just like the 120minute compartment on navy tables and the 60minute compartment in the RDP.

BTW, did you get your dry suits yet?

ONE: Quarry dive, the visibility is 15 feet above the 'cline, 1 foot through the 'cline and 35 below it. Temperature is 76 at the surface and 68 below the 'cline. Would you dive as my buddy (or anybody else's for that matter).

Sure. no problem.

TWO: Drift dive, warm water, 100+ foot vis (something I have absolutely no experience whatever with) in a group containing one DM of unknown quality.

Sure, no problem again, however I have no interest in "treading water." If you plan on hanging out for an extended time finning against a 2 knot current, I won't do it.

Nice drift, shoot an SMB and get picked up by the boat.

THREE: Spiegel Grove, rough seas and strong current, average visibility. Dive plan calls for us not to exceed 90 feet or penetrate the ship.

Nope.

The heavy current is OK, but I don't do rough seas. It's just not attractive enough to make it worth puking my guts out all day.

Terry

IF you would come overhere.
No- I hate freshwater,so we would make a low viz saltwater dive just to see how you would do.:D
Yes- but we would make tidal drifts :D
Yes- but again it would be local,so north sea,tidalcurrents, low viz,tidal.

Hey just come over,we have a ball,as long as you let me lead the dives.:D

My navigation skills are horrible.

ONE: Quarry dive, the visibility is 15 feet above the 'cline, 1 foot through the 'cline and 35 below it. Temperature is 76 at the surface and 68 below the 'cline. Would you dive as my buddy (or anybody else's for that matter).

TWO: Drift dive, warm water, 100+ foot vis (something I have absolutely no experience whatever with) in a group containing one DM of unknown quality.

THREE: Spiegel Grove, rough seas and strong current, average visibility. Dive plan calls for us not to exceed 90 feet or penetrate the ship.

No problem with navigation, most of the divers I dive with can't navigate either.

Not a fan and no desire to dive a quarry, particularity a cold one with lousy vis.

I love drift diving and would have no issue unless you spoke these words; "Don't bother me with a pre-dive plan or doing a buddy check, I'm good!"

I can handle rough seas but without accessing the current situation myself, I just don't know. Also, see above.

1. Not likely. I have a quarry nearby and I find them rather boring for anything other than practicing buoyancy control and fin techniques to not stir up the bottom.

2. Not yet. Get some practice in with an instructor first before you go on the dive. Remember to only dive within the limits of your training. After you have some degree of training, then the unknown DM and such is not an issue to me. I make sure I am prepared for the dives I do, like carrying two forms of audible signals and two forms of visual signals on drift dives.

3. Most likely. Sounds like a standard deep rec dive. If you feel comfortable and can show me your log book with similar dives in it, I would buddy up with you.

The real question I am asking myself is: will this be a fun dive for me, or am I going to be your personal DM?

We'd be reading about the two of you on the Incidents and Accidents forum, or worse.

:shakehead:

Or maybe not. I personally don't think it's that foolish, but perhaps I'm overly confident. I've dove deeper before, I've dove in rough seas and with currents I couldn't swim against. I don't mind the rough condtions as much, escpecially as a newer diver. I use them as an oppurtunity to be challenged and work on my skills even more.

The trial by fire thig doesn't apply to everything. There's obviously certain things you need certain training for, ie, overhead. I think rough conditions are more of a comfort thing. Some people aren't comfortable in them or don't want a strenuous dive. I don't mind working hard for a dive. My weekly dive requires a half mile surface swim each way sometimes in rough seas (other times it's like a lake).

1-Maybe
2-Yes
3-No

But only becasue I've done 2 and feel perfectly comfortable in that situation. I feel I could self rescue me if needed and could also assist you. 1 and 3, I have not done so I would want someone more experinced then me to be my buddy. That might be you for #1. As for #3, I have reached a point where I no longer find it to be very fun to get back on a boat in rough water, therefore, I don't do those dives. It is not realy a 'being comfortable in the water' thing but more of a, 'don't like my shins beat to hell' thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom