Would you dive with me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1) Yes. You'd be the experienced diver in the environment. I would hope my greater general experience and skills would help me be a good buddy in a strange place.

2) Maybe. That's predicated on your statement that you are like glue. My experiences in Cozumel taught me that keeping a team together in high current requires very sharp situational awareness and fairly strong diving skills. Keeping the team within range to assist one another is the most important parameters in my diving.

3) No. I would find that dive, in a strange place, under unpredictable and potentially challenging conditions, to be a stretch for me, and I would want to do it with people I knew, and people whose skills -- whether that be situational awareness, buoyancy control, poise under pressure, or emergency procedures -- were an absolute known to me.

I'll do a dive I can cruise with almost anyone, except people who have already broken one of my "don't go there" rules. For dives with more possible issues, I get pickier about who I dive with. For anything that pushes my personal limits, I want to be in the water with like-minded divers, and what's more, KNOWN like-minded divers.

FWIW, "don't go there" rules:

1) There's a dive plan, and everybody's patient enough to talk through it.
2) There's an equipment check, and everybody's patient enough to go through it with me.
3) The team stays together. Period. If you have an issue, you let me/us know, and we cope with it as a team, whether that's solving the problem or surfacing. Swim away from me and try to justify it afterwards, and I don't dive with you again.
4) Communication. If you want to do ANYTHING we didn't discuss, you stop and talk about it, even if it involves hauling out wetnotes. No surprises, and I don't want to chase you.

I try to dive a lot with new divers. New divers can be depended upon to have buoyancy issues, navigational issues, and poor SAC rates, and I'm totally okay with that as long as I know what I'm doing going in, and rules 1-4 are observed.

Good thread, I think -- there will be a lot here for newer divers to consider.

Attachments

• DSC05221.jpg
    DSC05221.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 48
Would you do dive #3 with an instabuddy?

If the instabuddy is known to to the dive operator (and the dive operator will have a good reputation or I am not going out with them in the first place) as a good diver and is experienced on this particular dive, and if he met all of my conditions. My non-negotiable conditions for any buddy are that we have a team buddy approach, full buddy checks, follow dive plan, agrees with the rule that any buddy can thumb the dive at any time for any reason whatever, we stick together at all times, make regular eye contact and dive slowly and cautiously. I don't need a baby sitter, but I also cannot be the #1 diver in that scenario.

But this isn't about what I would choose to dive with... it is about whether y'all would dive with me (not personally, but somebody with my level of experience, training and equipment).

Yes , yes , no

From what I've heard about Spiegel Grove, I wouldn't dive it with anyone.
My purpose in diving is to have fun, and fighting strong currents and big waves just isn't fun. There's plenty of other locations that are fun so why would I bother with SG?

That is not fair...you can actually see in yours.

Here is one from mine. I driving the bulldozer at 65ffw. The photographer is 6-7ft away.

For my DM mapping project I get to survey this quarry. Not really looking forward to that.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

At least you learned the FUN way,like we do overhere.:wink:

:thumb:

That is not fair...you can actually see in yours.

Here is one from mine. I driving the bulldozer at 65ffw. The photographer is 6-7ft away.

For my DM mapping project I get to survey this quarry. Not really looking forward to that.

Ya, I have days like that too (when we get algae blooms) that limit the vis to 5 feet or under... most of these shots are very close to the fish, generally in the top 15 feet of the water column. BTW you can tell if I am boasting about my buoyancy or not by looking at the amount of backscatter in these shots... one touch on ANYTHING in that muck and you would have a whiteout.

If I ever do my DM mapping project, I am going to map Crescent Beach in Kona :wink:

If I ever do my DM mapping project, I am going to map Crescent Beach in Kona :wink:

I tried that one. I'm going to Largo in October and I offered to map one of the reefs. The instructor got a chuckle out of that one!

He then said if I would take him with me I could do it.

I looked at the pocket book and realized that was going to happen!

Sure. I am a newbie and I will dive with anyone!

ETA;
Just noticed your location and where you get your tanks filled. I might have actually been in a quarry the same time as you were. How about Dive-Stop and/or Mermet?????

Sure. I am a newbie and I will dive with anyone!

ETA;
Just noticed your location and where you get your tanks filled. I might have actually been in a quarry the same time as you were. How about Dive-Stop and/or Mermet?????

Ya, we dive at the Dive Stop most often, it is the closest to us. Mermet is actually pretty far from where we live (north part of the state) and I have never been there. Was at the Stop the last two weekends, will be there tomorrow and Sunday as well. We fill at Y-Kiki because it's two bucks cheaper than the Stop... although we often fill at the Stop just because I don't want to drive into town at the time.

Let me know when you are going to be there next, I would like to meet you. Going to be there next Sunday as well (a week from) although they are doing a triathlon thing then that I don't know much about, am supposed to be doing our dry suit checkout dives... we may have to switch that over to Rolla, we will see. Most of the fish pictures in that link were taken at the Stop not far off the southeastern dock, along that wall where it is multi-level, not too far off from the deeper training platform, and on around the east wall.

Back
Top Bottom