Would you dive the Farallones?

Would you dive the Farallones?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Josh: The PacStar had procedures too. They were a bit different because it's a bigger
boat with a tiny chase boat, but not all that different. So the procedures weren't an
issue. But you were wise then: "I'm an advanced diver, I've got an AOW card" has no
place at the Farallones. And wise now: There are a couple of guys on my Farallones
list who haven't been in the water in a while. But I trust them to make the same
decision (and they both have, several times). I leave them on the list because I trust
their judgment.

The Farallones was my old stomping ground when my dad had a commercial fishing license, so I know the area pretty well, although it's been quite a few years.

I'd dive there in a heartbeat. Well, assuming it's the "correct" time of the year.

When I get a boat big enough to safely get out there and back, I'll be looking for some buddies, and probably a bang stick or two :eyebrow:

You mean the same Pac Star whose crew hollered at me to jump in solo and fetch my dropped Jetfin? :D Great dive even if I was swimming in little circles. (They did find my fin a month later at the same site. Pretty cool.)

Kidding aside, I'm sure their safety procedures were great. It's just that, had I known then what I know now about diving, my answer would have been an emphatic "HELL NO," not just, "I'm too broke."

dannobee:
The Farallones was my old stomping ground when my dad had a commercial fishing license, so I know the area pretty well, although it's been quite a few years.

I'd dive there in a heartbeat. Well, assuming it's the "correct" time of the year.

When I get a boat big enough to safely get out there and back, I'll be looking for some buddies, and probably a bang stick or two :eyebrow:

Will you take me with you??? Please???? :blinking: I promise to be a good buddy and I am pretty good with a bang stick! :wink:

Chuck, you inspired me to break out the log book. May 19, 1997, dive #52 @ Diablo Pinnacles. 78'/14 mins. No idea where my (former) buddy was at the time. Did a third dive with one of the crew (and a borrowed fin) and searched to no avail. I'm still amazed the fin was there a month later.

Sorry to go off-topic, but I have a question. We also dove The Cathedrals that day. I don't recall hearing of that site since then and can't find it in the California Diving News archive. Could it be the name has changed over time, or did I confuse it with one of the Pinnacles (PTP, East, Outer...?)

Hey for all the GW posts I've read here on Scubaboard, I have never heard anyone mention the book by Peter Klimley and David Ainley. "Great White Sharks" The biology of Carcharodon carcharias. Peter Klimley is a professor at the UC Marine lab in Bodega Bay. The book is quite technical, but I believe the best reference on GW's that I have come across. It not only analyzes attacks/interactions with humans here in California and around the world, but it also, discusses the ecology, behavior and physiology too. When I was a student at UC Davis, I was fortunate enough to hear him lecture in a number of my classes. I have the first edition (published in 1996), but there might be another edition that is a little more current.

jumsted65:
Chuck, you inspired me to break out the log book. May 19, 1997, dive #52 @ Diablo Pinnacles. 78'/14 mins. No idea where my (former) buddy was at the time. Did a third dive with one of the crew (and a borrowed fin) and searched to no avail. I'm still amazed the fin was there a month later.

Sorry to go off-topic, but I have a question. We also dove The Cathedrals that day. I don't recall hearing of that site since then and can't find it in the California Diving News archive. Could it be the name has changed over time, or did I confuse it with one of the Pinnacles (PTP, East, Outer...?)

Diablo Pinnacles is way far south, and not dived much. So your fin stayed put.

What I know as The Cathedrals is NW of Pescadero Wash Rock (aka Fire Rock) at the
edge of the shore kelp bed. There are several swimthoughs there.

Diablo Pinnacles is just south of Lobos Rocks, straight out from the beach area at Garrapata State Park. If there was a boat ramp near the beach, it'd only take a couple of minutes to get there. Kayaks would certainly be do-able, but the hike down to the beach is kind of long, and the "stairs" are more like a jump down to the sand. FWIW.

Great diving though.

dannobee:
Diablo Pinnacles is just south of Lobos Rocks, straight out from the beach area at Garrapata State Park. If there was a boat ramp near the beach, it'd only take a couple of minutes to get there. Kayaks would certainly be do-able, but the hike down to the beach is kind of long, and the "stairs" are more like a jump down to the sand. FWIW.

Great diving though.
It was great diving that day, for sure. It's still clear as day in my head. Dead calm and stellar vis, one of those days we all dream about.

Can't confirm The Cathedrals was the same site Chuck knows, but probably so. All I saw of that dive was the anchor since second (former) buddy couldn't clear his ears. No foul on his part there, though.

Back on-topic. Lisa told a story of the Farallones once being a nuclear waste dump site. She was convinced that had an effect on the ecosystem which made the critters mutate and become larger over time. I just don't know about that, never having looked into it myself, but thought it might make for some interesting discussion.

Discuss if you like :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom