Would you accept O2 without qualification?

Would you accept O2 from non qualified person?

• Yes

Votes: 127 96.2%
  • No

Votes: 5 3.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
Googling around, I think I may have answered my own question:

"In patients with chronic carbon dioxide retention whose stimulus to breathe is decreased partial pressure of oxygen in arterial blood (PaO2), oxygen administration may depress respiratory drive, careful monitoring of these patients for hypoventilation is required during oxygen therapy."

You aren't likely to run into anyone with that condition on a dive boat.

And it sounds like the risks of hyperoxemia from giving O2 to a scuba diver aren't great and much worse than the risks of not treating hypoxemia...

e.g.:

http://www.cc.nih.gov/ccmd/pdf_doc/Medicinal Gas Therapy/01-Oxygen Therapy.pdf

So, for injured divers, just give them O2 until you can get them to someone with a pulse oximeter who is trained to use it...

Yes these are diseases that fall into the catagory of COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases). These people may stop breathing and need to be monitored. Rescue breathing may be needed. Again, these people will not be diving. Give O2 to everyone who needs it on the boat!!

miketsp:
There is another thread running discussing whether or not you would dive on a boat that did not have O2 available.

It was then commented that you should not administer O2 without being qualified.

I have seen a lot of different manuals covering O2 application and didn't see any situation where the risks of applying the O2 would be greater than the risks of not applying it in an apparent DCS situation.

So the question is:
If you had just come out of the water and taken a hit, would you accept O2 from a non-qualified person if there was an O2 cylinder available?

I would.

Of course. O2 can only help. It's not going to hurt you.

miketsp:
....snip....

So the question is:
If you had just come out of the water and taken a hit, would you accept O2 from a non-qualified person if there was an O2 cylinder available?

I would.

Without hesitation.

R..

Unless I skipped a post, all the posters are in favour of receiving O2 if they need it, yet we have a 6% vote showing that some people would not accept it.

I would really like to hear some reasons.
Or to know if you changed your mind after voting and reading the posts.

lamont:
"In patients with chronic carbon dioxide retention whose stimulus to breathe is decreased partial pressure of oxygen in arterial blood (PaO2), oxygen administration may depress respiratory drive, careful monitoring of these patients for hypoventilation is required during oxygen therapy."

When I took my emt training we were taught that if the patient begins hypoventilating start rescue breathing. Whether thier stimulus to breath is high co2 or low o2 they still need the o2. :wink:

Allison Finch:
About the only condition that could suffer with O2 is COPD. I really don't see anyone with chronic COPD diving anywhere.

I assume that you're referring to the possibility of CO2 retention here. I would never, in the field, deny oxygen to a person I knew had COPD. Among those with COPD, the fraction that require hypoxemia to drive the breathing cycle is very low. Most COPD patients who are having difficulties in the field are more than likely hypoxemic & need oxygen.

But you're right: They won't be diving, so a moot point. Just making the point for clarification.

Jim

bwerb:
Sometimes I seriously wonder what is wrong with our society...this is just one tiny example.

I don't wonder what's wrong.

Too many freeking lawyers!

Both my brother-in-laws are attorneys.

jbichsel:
I don't wonder what's wrong.

Too many freeking lawyers!

:whack:

sorry, couldn't resist :wink:

the problem is NOT ENOUGH lawyers. if everyone were
a lawyer, there won't be anyone left to sue!

H2Andy:
the problem is NOT ENOUGH lawyers. if everyone were
a lawyer, there won't be anyone left to sue!

Wouldn't they sue each other?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom