Would like your Feedback

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ocean One

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In November, I will be particpating in a Handicapped Scuba Association Instructor certification course. Looking ahead, I would very much appreciate feedback, input, stories, anticdotes or just plain help from any disabled/handicapped diver on what an instructor did or didn't do that helped you through or hindered you in learning to dive.

HSA Instructors, please feel free to reply too! The more I know, the better job I'll do!
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

After reading your post several times i managed to confuse myself.....Are you handicapped, and becoming an Instructor...or..are you an instructor and learning to certify the handicapped? Probably nothing wrong with your post, i am just easiy confused while i am on land.

Here's my free advice- HSA diving requires a few basics- buoyancy control, task loading, and buddy awareness. These are key to having fun and safe dives.

It's usually a long, gruelling day because of all the scenarios, much like rescue class. Plan on wearing plenty of exposure protection, including hood and gloves, since you'll probably be in the water a long time. This goes for the pool sessions too.

Keep in mind that the training is much harder than actually diving with disabled divers. Each diver is different, but they usually have some level of abiliity that makes the dives easier. For example, quadraplegics might have enough motor control to equalize their ears, which reduces your task loading.

Don't get discouraged if the class seems overwhelming. Just like other scuba certs, the class is a license to learn. Afterwards, you are usually teamed up and start out with more experienced buddies, so there should be a lot of mentoring after the class as well. Diveheart works with some of the special recreation associations in the area to do some discover scuba type events at the local pools; after the HSA class, these are a great way to get more practice and refine skills. Also, the disabled participants thoroughly enjoy it.

Lastly, interacting with disabled people is sometimes a new challenge for many people. Be sure to address the person and not just their disability. Keep in mind that their disability is also part of their identity. Most of the disable divers I have worked with are usually physically disabled. I find cognitively disabled divers more challenging to work with. Regardless, diving with the handicapped is a very rewarding experience. You will get much more out of it than you can possibly put into it, and it will improve your dive skills.

Good post Do It Easy!!
I was just wondering if there is a way for experienced divers to help with any of these divers. I trained several of the guys in our water rescue unit and found teaching very rewarding. I also learned a lot from teaching as it changed the way I had to think or approach a problem for someone.
I am certified for SAR and have done quite a bit of training and zero vis dives in currents. Still, I am not DM certified.

Congratulations on seeking certification through HSA. I am newly certified through a local club (ACUC) and was fortunate to have a wonderful instructor who assisted me attaining the skills and knowledge to be safe and competent in the underwater environment.
I believe one of the most important things to keep in mind is that a disability is as individual as the person. Try not to make assumptions and do not hesitate to ask if the student is comfortable or capable in performing or attempting new skills. Be prepared for trial and error, certain tasks may require modification in order to accommodate a disability. This is most likely going to be a learning experience for both you and your student. Most often my reply to my instructor when asked if I could do something was "I don't know, lets try". Listen to your student, they are the "experts" when it comes to their particular disability and can best instruct you on how to assist them if it is required. Questions regarding the person's disability should be in relation to scuba diving. Have patience and a sense of humour, but do maintain your professional requirement for the student to learn and acheive the needed skills for safe , competent scuba diving. Enjoy your experience in assisting persons with disabilities enjoy the underwater world, I know that becoming a diver has opened a whole new world of experience for me. I shall post my essay of my first "dive" that somewhat captures how I feel personally about having attained my certification.
The United Spinal Cord Association has a quite thorough publication on disability etiquette covering all types of disabilies and scenarios. You may find it interesting reading http://www.unitedspinal.org/pdf/DisabilityEtiquette.pdf

Thanks you to all that have responded for tht advise and encouragement. I have completed the classroom and confined water portion of the training and was humbled yet exhilerated with the training. My open water is in Jan. I get my first opportunity to actually work with disabled folks later this month during a DSD class with Craig Hospital. For the two days of the classroom portion, we were confined to wheelchairs and had to do everything from there, a first for me, never having even set in a wheelchair before. I have a whole new appreciation of my capabilities. Thanks again!!!!

kaas:
I believe one of the most important things to keep in mind is that a disability is as individual as the person.
::
The United Spinal Cord Association has a quite thorough publication on disability etiquette covering all types of disabilies and scenarios. You may find it interesting reading http://www.unitedspinal.org/pdf/DisabilityEtiquette.pdf

Someone once told me to remind that people are people, not adjectives like "the blind," "the deaf," etc. In my Japan Barrier-free Diving Association course, the number one rule was that the "guest" (official JBDA terminology) was in charge. That it was not our job to figure things out. Of course, getting Japanese to be self-assertive is always a challenge.

FWIW, for two years before I took the training, I dove with experienced divers with various disabilities (blind, partial sighted, cerebral palsy, etc.) who had passed that step, so they had prepared me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom