DM and Conservation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JackC1au

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,

I will be getting my DM cert next month (it’s all planned already, I know it might not be the best path into the field…). I plan on working in the industry for a bit afterwards. I just finished a six-month term with Americorps in the Midwest doing conservation ]work in local National parks like Zion, Bryce, and Arches. This line of work was an absolute blast and I loved it. I was wondering if there are any similar opportunities for people possessing a DM cert? Or anything really that combines a higher level of scuba training with something related to environmental conservation.

Frankly, I’ve read that finding jobs as a DM is tough. Dones anyone have any recommendations on a path forward I should pursue after I finish my training? I am from the States and have looked into getting a work visa in Australia. Would that work?

I would appreciate any feedback or critism (but please keep it helpful!) :)

All love

Do you actually need to get paid and eat? Or are you able to survive and pay for rent, food, and insurance cause you have money already?

Cause there are basically zero "DM jobs" that pay much more than shop discounts, free air, and perhaps the occasional tip.

DMs where I worked (2012-15) here in Dartmouth (Halifax), Nova Scotia got $300 CAD per assisting an OW course, usually 2 weekends of work for what comes to about minimum pay. Here you may be able to pick up 4 courses per season, maybe a couple more. There are some courses with less pay like Discover Scuba, Review, etc. that in some cases a DM can teach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom