Would like to volunteer on Phi Phi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello there,

My husband and I were on Koh Phi Phi when the Tsunami hit. We are since in Bangkok awaiting his full recovery; he got a pretty nast gash on his foot. We ARE divers (obviously) but are also looking to do some re-building efforts down there. We might just show up on the island and let someone put us to work, but I figured I'd look and see what was out there first. We would most likely be in that area in the middle of April and would be able to stay for at least 2 weeks. We are not looking for a vacation or time of leisure. We want to work and give back because we have been so fortunate. If anybody has any sites/info/work, please let me know.

Anybody who was working with Moskito down there at the time, we were blessed to join you for Christmas dinner. Also, if you know Stephen Hunter, he is doing well and is back in England. Looks like his leg will take a little time to heal.

Many thanks,

Elizabeth

Phi Phi was one of my favorite places a few years ago. I've been in touch with Kay, manager at Visa Diving, about making a donation to help the community there but I haven't heard anything about opening up for volunteer assistance. I hope someone will post here since I'd certainly consider heading back to help.

Dr. Bill

Dr. Bill,

Thank you so much for your response. We appreciate any info. we can get. I thought I might pass onto you (since you said you were interested in helping out as well), that I have contacted a gentleman by the name of Nicolas Serra who works with the Yanui Beach Project in Phuket (a member of Scuboard has made a post about the website). It's a grassroots org. and they very much seem to have themselves well organized. They are very interested in volunteers and he also said that he has been in touch with many volunteers all over the region (he did not specify Phi Phi). I am to try to give him a call tomorrow to see if he has heard of anything as far as volunteer efforts down on Koh Phi Phi. I will also find out more about his org. I would be more than happy to pass on any info I gather. Also, if you have the time, and hear anything from Kay about volunteering, we would be most appreciative.

If you would like to email Nicolas, his email is rotapi@hotmail.com

Thank you so much (sorry this is so lengthy).

Elizabeth (superstohr)

drbill:
Phi Phi was one of my favorite places a few years ago. I've been in touch with Kay, manager at Visa Diving, about making a donation to help the community there but I haven't heard anything about opening up for volunteer assistance. I hope someone will post here since I'd certainly consider heading back to help.

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom