Would like some info...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was hoping to go out to Breakwater along the wall with Norb on Sunday, waiting to hear if he's available. I've taken a Nav course as part of my AOW, but never led a dive. I think I could manage the wall, seeing as I was just there on Sunday. Or we can go straight out and back, I can follow a compass heading. A bit hard to ask directions at 15 or 30', but I understand just wanting to get wet and breathe underwater when you're first starting, that's all that really matters.
If you want to dive on Sundays at Breakwater at 7 am, let me know, I am hoping to dive every Sunday except 9/6, same starting place, same time.

We took a brand new diver out just last week, and hopefully showed him a great time. I hope he'll be back :)

Just wanted to echo what's already been said here - lots of us enjoy taking out brand new divers, and some really make it a point to do so. The only real prerequisites are an agreement to dive safely, try to be a good buddy (for a new diver that typically just means not to go swimming off on your own) and have fun!

Welcome to the board and to norcal diving!

Thanks to all for all the responses! I will definitely be posting after this Saturday and Sunday once I am certified OW and WARM again :wink:!! Wish me luck!

Thanks to all for all the responses! I will definitely be posting after this Saturday and Sunday once I am certified OW and WARM again :wink:!! Wish me luck!

Good luck, have fun, and just think warm thoughts. :wink: I look forward to diving with you sometime.

Good luck Brad, have a great time and inform us of the experience. Like Michelle said, looking forward to diving with you someday.

My concern is that because I am so new that I may use my air much quicker than a seasoned diver...

Welcome to Scubaboard and the wonderful sport of Scuba diving! As others have noted, there are many people here who are happy to dive with new divers. Diving with a more experienced buddy can be a great way to learn fast, and often helps your buddy hone his own skills. Breakwater is a great site for getting comfortable with scuba.

One thing I did for my more experienced buddy was rent larger tanks, usually HP100s from Any Water Sports. (I also tried LP95s from Glenn's Aquarius II at Breakwater.) They cost a little more, but it gave me an extra five or ten minutes in the water. Well worth it when you consider how much time goes into preparing for a 30 minute dive. (Just be aware that you'll use about 6 pounds less lead when switching from AL80s to HP100s.)

Also, trust that your air consumption will improve with experience. At least, it will if you work on it a little bit. (Mine has improved enough that now I have to help my buddy find some bigger tanks to replace his AL80. :wink: ) But, don't worry about this yet. Stay focused on the basics, first -- especially safety skills.

There are several other little tips and tricks I've picked up as I've taken my experience from OW noob to 40+ dives, but I don't think I should distract you with too many details as you start out -- you have a enough to focus on. Just relax and enjoy the experience. (And, come back and tell us all about it. :) )

Hi Brad we are 3 Padi open water scuba instructors we have a small scuba club. We like to take peolpe for beach diving in Monterey. If you are interested let me know we are going this saturday we do charge $35.00 for a guided dive.

Back
Top Bottom