Would like some info...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brad900

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello All,

Let me first apologize if this is not the right area for this thread- I am definitely *new* here and do not want to cause offense.

I am scheduled to get my OW cert done this Saturday/Sunday (Thanks to AWS!!) down at the famous Breakwater! Needless to say I am excited/scared ****less!

I really would like to start "real/actual" diving as soon as possible but am very concerned about my skill level and abilities. I have found the link provided by Chuck Tribolet (link deleted) [Northern California Dive Clubs] in regards to groups and am starting to dig through it and I also started looking at the Buddy Matrix.

My concern is that because I am so new that I may use my air much quicker than a seasoned diver and thereby be a big time hassle- and since I do not know many divers I'd rather not start out on the wrong foot!

If any one knows of a good "starter" or beginner loaded dive club/group that they could point me to- I'd really appreciate it! I currently live in Oakland (Lake Merritt area) but am willing to travel as far as required/needed.

Thanks for any and all suggestions/help!

-B

(Sorry if this has been asked a million times before...)

I would say relax! A good discussion with any buddy prior to the dive will help decide how the both or you are going to proceed. You will each discuss the dive limits and keep in constant communication under scuba...especially communicating air remaining. Comminution is key. Everything else depends on it. I found that when I started I didnt use up as much air as I thought I would. The only way to be a hassle of a buddy is if you get yourself lost or hungup on the reef. No one wants to swim around looking for their buddy or waste precious air cutting him free from fishing line (I hope you see my humor here).

I cannot help you find clubs and such, but you found ScubaBoards and thats a great start.

Cheers!

Welcome to diving and ScubaBoard Brad900! This is the perfect place to post. There are many of us that like to dive with new divers...it reminds us how exciting all the firsts can be. A good way to meet lots of divers is at the Meet & Greets, which we try to do every couple months. You just missed one a couple weeks ago but keep an eye on this forum and you'll see when the next one is going to be.

There's also a group on meetup.com that leads newbie dives all the time. You should check them out as well. The Greater Bay Area Scuba Lovers Meetup (Santa Clara, CA) - Meetup.com

Again, welcome and happy diving. :D

There are some divers who make it a point to dive with a new diver every now and then. Just post on here or join one of the Meet and Greets.

I believe there is a certain debt that all divers should pay back to the system. While they are starting out, the only way they are going to become better divers is to get out there and dive. But if they do all their diving with their former classmates from OW the learning curve will be very slow. I find that by just being a good mentor/dive buddy you help hese guys out immensely and will payback into the system later on (hopefully).

If you haven't helped out a new diver get off his knees who will?

Brad welcome to :sblogo: and to the Norcal section!

Keep watching here for posts, there's always people who want to dive and a mix of experience levels. Don't worry about your air consumption. we all have been there, Just come out and dive, you'll be fine!

I'm looking for a buddy too, Brad. Just afraid to lead a dive and get us both lost, lol.

the wall along Breakwater can be an interesting dive, easy to navigate too--kick out, take a heading towards shore and drop down.

I'm looking for a buddy too, Brad. Just afraid to lead a dive and get us both lost, lol.

The WALL is a great beginner dive. You don't even need to worry about headings. Go out with wall on your right, come back with wall on your left. :)

I love diving with new divers! And like many others here have said, just post when you want to dive and typically there is at least one person available.

Most divers, especially the ones who post here are really cool with new divers. We know your dive will end sooner than ours. When we agree to be your buddy (as many of us will) we know full well that any dive longer than 20 minutes will be fine with us!

What's no cool is saying you are really good with air and then blow through your tank in half the time you said it would last.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom