would like advice gearing up for fresh water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chillin

Registered
Reaction score
been putting away some cash to finish up my gear for fresh water. Have been doing most of my diving in salt on holidays, but am now diving into the great lakes.

I am currently using: APEKS 1st & 2nd stages and a DUI CF200 Dry suit, but want to trade in my Dive Rite Trans Pac II & Rec Wing for a backplate & wing (do i really need a 90# lift???) and get some doubles & stages (would like feedback on bottles & valves because i want to purchase my own).

Last would be the dive light...

i am going to be broke, but hopefully happy!

J

Chillin:
been putting away some cash to finish up my gear for fresh water. Have been doing most of my diving in salt on holidays, but am now diving into the great lakes.

I am currently using: APEKS 1st & 2nd stages and a DUI CF200 Dry suit, but want to trade in my Dive Rite Trans Pac II & Rec Wing for a backplate & wing (do i really need a 90# lift???) and get some doubles & stages (would like feedback on bottles & valves because i want to purchase my own).

J

If you read through the Tech forum here you'll get ideas for tanks, deco (I assume you meant these and not stage) bottles and regs.

No, you don't need a 90# wing, 55# should do nicely.

MD

Chillin:

J
For fresh water it's hard to beat LP steel tanks, but that's just my opinion. Also, I think that any of the objections to painted tanks, such as the OMS branded Fabers, is significantly lessened in fresh water. The OMS valves are as well made as anything else I've seen. As far as a light, if I could justify the cost I'd look at a quality HID canister light.

I dont know how much those canister lights run, but I imagine they arent cheap at all. I bought a standard C8 light, and was happy with it until my batteries went dead, and I borrowed a Light Cannon...wow...now that is a great light.

LOL - if you like a Light Cannon that much, you would just wet your drysuit if you ever got your hands on an HID cannister light. Especially a nice Helios 18w with the Goodman handle... :wink:

The rec wing works ok for small diameter (6.75 to 6.9") doubles but for 7.25" dia and larger tanks the air cell gets pinched between the aircell and backplate. The classic works a lot better as it is a little wider.

Given the popularity of HID technology, you can get a used halogen cannister light for relatively little money. For murky water I prefer a halogen light anyway.

Back
Top Bottom