Would it be nice??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NudeDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Wouldn't it be nice if, when you paid $450 for a PADI Rescue course that the class actually starts on-time, rather than starting late - every time - at least once by 20 minutes?

Wouldn't it be nice, if all of the students actually showed up on-time for this class, rather than one of them being constantly late - usually by 15 or 20 minutes?

Wouldn't it be nice, if more than two of the students actually did the knowledge reviews before class, and another didn't do them immediately before the class - at the table while waiting for class to start - because, you know, there is time, since the class is starting late?

Wouldn't it be nice if all of the students actually watched the video at home like they were supposed to?

Wouldn't it be nice if, during the class, the knowledge reviews were actually discussed and reviewed in their entirety, instead of just a couple of questions?

Wouldn't it be nice if all of the students showed up to the pool and were in their gear by the appointed time, so that the session could run smoothly, and without being rushed?

Wouldn't it be nice if all of the students showed up at the pool, with, you know, SCUBA gear, so that they could actually participate in all of the lessons to be learned, and without slowing down the class for everyone else? Of course, if only 2 of the 5 students are on-time and fully prepared, maybe it doesn't really matter.

Wouldn't it be nice if the instructor would simply kick the malperforming students out of the class?

Wouldn't it be nice, if, you know, you had confidence that you were learning what you were actually supposed to be learning in the class?

Maybe my expectations are just too high I guess.

what has being late or unprepared got to do with any agency?

so padi or ssi or naui are to be responsible if there are lazy/late/time poor people in the world that dont do as they are suppose to?

geez, my hubby didnt take out the garbage last week - wonder if i can blame TDI for this

It has a lot to do with agency course standards. For example, having a standard of, "if a student misses class or is otherwise woefully unprepared, the student shall be removed from the class so that the training given to other students is not negatively impacted."

so padi or ssi or naui are to be responsible if there are lazy/late/time poor people in the world that dont do as they are suppose to?

geez, my hubby didnt take out the garbage last week - wonder if i can blame TDI for this

Don't blame TDI - you'll only provide an excuse for next time.

Besides, we know that not taking out the garbage is a recreational level issue.

This still isn't an agency standard. Although there is nothing specifically written in the standards demanding that classes start on time, there is also nothing preventing instructors from starting a class when the schedule says it should start and if a student is unprepared, he/she will not have met the standard for that module and have repeat and/or remediate.

I am a firm believer in learning agreements for all courses that ask the students to be prepared and on time for each class with the option of the instructor to remove unprepared students from class and ask them to pay for additional sessions.

I've noticed the late/unprepared percentage drop considerably since implementing them.

Rachel

I realize the aggravation & frustration of unprepared classmates, but let me ask this, if for some reason you were on the other side of this, whether by your own doing or uncontrollable circumstances, would you want to be treated in that manner? To be thrown out of the class for any infraction? Maybe I'm a softy,... but I feel it can only accentuate the positive to give someone the benefit of the doubt. The idea of scuba is to have fun, so most classes are very relaxed. Now I'm not saying that it is right or correct, but I would expect any of my students to perform & pass the mandated skills & academics. Yes, it is bad form to be late &/or unprepared for a class & extremely unprofessional for the instructor to be unprepared. Just remember, you may find yourself late or for some reason not fully prepared. I would hope that the instructor will take it easy on you for the infraction.

The obvious answer is yes. If i think it is reasonable for someone else to be kicked out of the class for A, B, C, it would certainly reasonable for me to be kicked out for the same reason.

Would I like it? No. That's why I don't do A, B and C.

I don't think what I suggest is unreasonable. I mean, christ, not doing the knowledge reviews before class like you're supposed to? How hard is that? I had them all done two weeks before the class even started! Since I was the last one to sign up for the class, I know "the guilty ones" had plenty of time to do them before class ever started, let alone before they session they were due. Hell, if one is THAT busy, it's obvious one is too busy to take the class to begin with.

No, I don't think it is unreasonable for people to come to class prepared and for the instructor to make sure some students do not get screwed for the benefit of other students - esp. after "the guilty ones" were told to me on time and have their stuff done.

Consider - after the last pool session, which was somewhat rushed because of the two people who were late (costing us a good half hour of lost time), one of the late guys told the instructor, "I feel like we need more time to practice, I want to pay you for an additional session for me and my kid (who was also late) - and anyone else who wants to chip in." Chip in? Hey, buddy, if you and your kid would be on-time maybe you wouldn't need an extra session! Not only do you short yourself, you short everyone else! There is no WAY anyone else should be chipping in for an extra session.

If I'm late without calling, people who know me will call the police. Because, I'm just never late. Which means I'm early a lot, because I plan ahead for possible delays. The reason is because I value and respect and honor the time of others. I guess that's old fashioned these days. But the truth is, being late or on time is a choice. And in a person's choice, they tell us how much they care about other people.

If the materials are due, I either complete them or call and reschedule the class. I am paying for something important, and other people in the class should not be held back because of me. If I agree to do the work, and then show up without it completed, I am telling you that I have little integrity, and that you cannot count on me. Also, that I do not value the instructor's time. In fact, I may also be demonstrating how you can or cannot count on me while diving, and you may want to keep that in mind for the future.

If I show up without my gear, you'll know that I am usually unprepared and will be unprepared at the dives later. Also, that I did not take the time to listen to the instructor, and may not in the future. I am also bound to just squeak by on the test.

If I am the instructor, and I don't hold people accountable to be on time, complete the pre-class work, and come to the dives prepared, I am saying that I really care more about collecting the student fees than I am in giving good training.

No matter what someone says, their actions tell the truth.

What's your problem here.:confused:
15-20min late.Do you have to get a plane.:confused:
You'll be working on the rescue course for the better part of the day.
What's the hurry.

Me thinks you have to lighten up.

What's your problem here.:confused:15-20min late.Do you have to get a plane.:confused:You'll be working on the rescue course for the better part of the day.What's the hurry.
Um...being 15-20 minutes late for a class session that only runs an hour is about 25% of the class.

Being 15-20 minutes late for a pool session that already goes until 1030-11pm on a week night is also an unnecessary and unwanted delay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom