Worthington Tank and O-Rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seansrs36

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I keep blowing O-rings on my Worthington Steel 100. I have had my reg and the valve looked at and no one can see any defects. I am switcing to a DIN now because of this issue but just curious if anyone else has had any issue with O-Rings with this tank.

Thanks

First, this should be more of a valve than a cylinder issue.

While most will agree that a DIN connection is best suited to pressures over 3000 yoke is still a perfectly usable configuration.

I dive PST-E7-80s with the Thermo Pro valve that uses the yoke inserts, I dive them as DIN. I end up installing the inserts for most fills. I have learned that they want to be barely snugged in there. If you tighten them firmly they will kick diagonally in the thread and the yoke connection is much harder to seat well. I insert the long end of the Allen wrench into the insert and use my thumb and forefinger to apply torque with the short leg. I would try removing your inserts and re-seating them lightly.

One other thing would be your O-Ring, 90 durometer is preferred. There are a lot of softer general purpose rings floating around.

Pete

Another possibility is that if you do not completely purge the reg prior to dismounting you can get the pressure low enough to unscrew the yoke but then get a little pop as the last bit of pressure releases blowing out the o-ring.

We had the same problem with our steels and found out that the standard R014 o-ring was the wrong one . We switched to the R014-S, the urethane ones. Haven't had a problem since.

Hey Tamas:
No magic yet, heck I'm not really sure of the exact problem. It's just easier for me to solve a problem when we can have a 2 way conversation. Since its our cylinder, I want to be sure he's happy and I have another fan club member.

Tamas:
Do tell Mike! What magic are you going to work over the phone :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom