Worthington or Pst ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right, but Worthington looked at the e-series prior to making the x-series and decided that they needed more material in the bottom of the cylinder to better balance the tank. The E8-130 is much lighter than the older 104's. People don't agree on the trim thing, some have it, some don't. See this thread:

The Deco Stop

But I have never heard anyone mention these issues w/ the Worthingtons. And as far as the cylinder height, I think a lot of that is in the neck. But hey if you think they'll work with a dry suit and thick undies, go for it.

But you are diving wet, no? A drysuit and undergarments will make that set-up head heavy for most folks, especially when compared to the x-series.

Um, if they trim fine with a wetsuit and you switch to drysuit and all the sudden you're head down, it wasn't the tanks, it's your drysuit. Think about it and hopefully that will make sense to you :)

I had 2 sets of 130's, 1 each of PST and Worthington. I much preferred the Worthingtons and sold the PST's. I now have 2 sets of Worthingtons :D.

Um, if they trim fine with a wetsuit and you switch to drysuit and all the sudden you're head down, it wasn't the tanks, it's your drysuit. Think about it and hopefully that will make sense to you :)

So what, don't dive a drysuit? You use the best tool for the application. Sparticle is a "DIR" diver so he shouldn't be diving wet w/ those tanks anyway. Ideally he would be dry and the tanks will trim differently with that configuration. Using PSTs, I would have to push my gear to the edge of a practical config (bands all the way up, using bottom holes on the wing, tail weight on an AL BP, etc. Worthingtons I have plenty of room to work with to adjust for different undergarments. So um, ya, I thought about it.

Heh I am no longer "DIR" in that yes, I'm unfortunately diving wet with these monstrosities of tanks (based on a time-based commitment for a class, and the economics of a college student buying a custom-cut drysuit).

I own and dive both brands....they are 'very' similar....both are 'steel cylinders'...... :)

So um, ya, I thought about it.

But unfortunately you missed my point that the way a set of tanks trim out doesn't change because the diver switched to a drysuit. The diver's trim may change but the way the tanks trim doesn't, they are static.

But unfortunately you missed my point that the way a set of tanks trim out doesn't change because the diver switched to a drysuit. The diver's trim may change but the way the tanks trim doesn't, they are static.

Dude, that is just semantics. Of course the tanks' are static but who gives a s***? about how a tank trims? Have you ever had someone say "Gee, these tanks seem to trim out fine when they are in the water by themselves but once I put them on, the go foot heavy! What gives?" No, because they don't dive themselves. It's the tanks on the diver's back (or side or wherever) that matters. If you're going to be diving them in a drysuit, you want the diver/rig/tanks to trim well. If you are planning to dive them w/ a drysuit then the trim with a wetsuit is irrelevent. Drysuit and undergarment is going to change the Cg of the total system (diver/ds/rig/tanks) so you should pick a set that works well w/ the config you plan to dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom