Worthington LP7-85s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dugout

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I hope everyone is having a nice Thanksgiving.:)

I have several AL80s but I’m looking for something different. I would like to drop some weight, as well. The AL80 at 3000psi matches my typical profile perfectly, rigged single tank. I just have an itch for something different and have never owned a steel tank.
Worthington has an LP7-85.
They are neutral when empty, and -6 full, hot dip galvanized, a little shorter and a little heavier than the Luxfer AL80. With the plus they hold more air but it seems they would be dead equal at 2400psi., 77cf, if I did the math right.
Dive Sports has these for 200 bucks, each, and that includes a boot, Thermo Pro Yoke/DIN valve, and the freight. This seems like a good value, as well, even compared to a new AL80.

What would be the down side of trying a couple of these LP7-85s?

Thanks!

My understanding is that they hold 85 cf at their rated pressure. The + would then give you 10% more, so around 93 cf. But I could be wrong.

Either way, they will allow you to take off 4 lbs of lead, but they weigh 3 lbs more.

Still, at $200 a cheap way to get into diving steel tanks :)

Hey Jeckyl:
Actually, the LP85 is 82.7 cuft at 2640 psi (2400+ 10%). Every 3AA scuba cylinder I am aware of is marketed with the stated capacity including the 10% overfill. If Dugout is happy with the capacity of gas in a standard aluminum 80 at 3000 psi (77.4 cuft) the LP85 will be a good choice. All the specs can be viewed here: http://xsscuba.com/tank_steel_specs.html

jeckyll:
My understanding is that they hold 85 cf at their rated pressure. The + would then give you 10% more, so around 93 cf. But I could be wrong.

Either way, they will allow you to take off 4 lbs of lead, but they weigh 3 lbs more.

Still, at $200 a cheap way to get into diving steel tanks :)

Those tanks are a great value.

For taking off lead, Worthington's x7-100s are better though. You'll able to take off almost 5lbs of lead from you belt compared to your aluminum tanks. On land, you'll wind up with roughly 3lbs lighter. You wind up paying for the weight savings though. X7-100s cost over $325 at most retailers.

I just bought a pair of LP-85's this year and love them. The only draw back that I found with them is that it screwed with my trim. This isn't a bad thing just had to start all over again.
$200 is a good deal. I spent a bit more than that but it helped out the LDS so I wasn't complaining.

crpntr133:
$200 is a good deal. I spent a bit more than that but it helped out the LDS so I wasn't complaining.

I wish I had a local dive shop I could help out... I would spend more to "touch and feel" what I'm buying. I don't buy new or different dive gear very often and this is probably the biggest reason. E-trade has it's place for those of us off the beaten path, but it doesn't replace a local shop.

XS Scuba:
Hey Jeckyl:
Actually, the LP85 is 82.7 cuft at 2640 psi (2400+ 10%). Every 3AA scuba cylinder I am aware of is marketed with the stated capacity including the 10% overfill. If Dugout is happy with the capacity of gas in a standard aluminum 80 at 3000 psi (77.4 cuft) the LP85 will be a good choice. All the specs can be viewed here: http://xsscuba.com/tank_steel_specs.html

Thanks for clearing that up Mike :)

I debated for some while about this tank or the HP-100, eventually went high-pressure. Whether you get + or not on next hydro seemed like a future annoyance, plus the marketing funny business of calling it an LP-85 when it's more like LP-82.

The HP100 would be a tween-er as far as air. Too much for one typical dive and not enough for two. Most of the time I break the surface with 800psi in a AL80, without looking at an SPG. The buoyancy of the HP100 is starting to get a little heavy, too. I guess it all depends upon an individuals program. The spec says the LP7-85 is neutral at 500psi and -6 Full.
I go direct to a hydro center and have found it enlightening in many ways. Let's just say sometimes stuff gets lost in translation going through a third party and the wishes of the customer are not always communicated. The guy I deal with said he had never seen a plus test failure if the tank passes the hydro test and inspection. What he said was the plus must be requested and often times it's not. Heck, I don't know. All I know is what folks tell me.

dugout:
The HP100 would be a tween-er as far as air. Too much for one typical dive and not enough for two. Most of the time I break the surface with 800psi in a AL80, without looking at an SPG. The buoyancy of the HP100 is starting to get a little heavy, too. I guess it all depends upon an individuals program. The spec says the LP7-85 is neutral at 500psi and -6 Full.
I go direct to a hydro center and have found it enlightening in many ways. Let's just say sometimes stuff gets lost in translation going through a third party and the wishes of the customer are not always communicated. The guy I deal with said he had never seen a plus test failure if the tank passes the hydro test and inspection. What he said was the plus must be requested and often times it's not. Heck, I don't know. All I know is what folks tell me.
Too much air? Wha? :confused:

Aside: I know a lot of people who have older tanks that have lost their plus rating, and not because they didn't ask for it.

I consider HP 100 to be the perfect singles tank. Smaller and lighter than an Al.80, and holds more gas at the same pressure, and a LOT more at rated pressure or more.

Under what conditions do you EVER have "too much" gas? If there was so much it made it too heavy, that would be one thing, but considering the weight is in line with an Al.80 and you save lead elsewhere, ending up lighter overall, I don't see how you can make that argument.

Ok, one situation where you want to fill your tanks to the bare minimum: If you own your own compressor and want to save wear and tear. Other than that, it costs the same to refill an empty tank as a 3/4 full tank, so who cares if you have gas left? More reserve for an emergency! And if you're in one of those odd places that charges by the cubic foot, even better!

In warm water, I can understand not wanting the extra in-water weight steel offers. But for those of us in cold water, steel is an excellent option for those who can afford it.

Final point: I know a number of people with excellent SAC rates who love doing two dives off an HP100. Some can do two dives off of an Al80, even. I've done two dives off one HP100, tho only once, as a friend with a poor SAC rate was along for the first dive. 41min @ 75' max (3200psi-1700psi), then 30 min @ 68' max (1700psi-500psi) to kill off the tank.

Diff'rent strokes...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom