Worthington LP tank galvanized available capacities ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafanatic

Contributor
Reaction score
...I've done a bit of researching on the WWW, looking for another galvanized tank supplier, now that PST appears defunct...... I already own 5 HP PST galvanized tanks, ( (1) E8-130 and (4) E7-120 ) and have been very happy with them, but am looking to the future now and as near as I can tell, Worthington only makes a galvanized LP 85, all their other larger LP tanks are PAINTED.......while I've seen all the HP galvanized tanks @ Scubatoys, they indicated the only LP galvanized tanks available from Worthington are the LP 85's....can anyone clarify if Worthington sells any other larger capacity LP galvanized tanks ?

note: I'm NOT interested in any galvanized underneath/painted exterior tanks.....I'm looking for 'pure' galvanized only exteriors.

Thanks!

Karl

Should answer all your questions. I did a two minute google search.

http://www.seapearls.com/tanks-steel.html

"All Worthington steel cylinders come with a new hot dipped galvanized exterior finish."

LP7-85

LP8-95

LP8-108

LP8-121

I just bought two Worthington X7-100's for myself :)

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the link, I'd already stumbled on that one though...it's ambiguous, for example, it says ALL Worthington tanks have a galvanized finish, which is untrue, as I just saw PAINTED LP Worthingtons in stock in person last Saturday @ Scubatoys in Dallas, TX.

I'm seeking LP galvanized-only steel tanks......... I can't get HP fills on the local dive boats, so a LP 85 filled to 3000 psi yields 97 cu. ft. of gas, where as a HP 100 @ 3000 psi only yields 86 cu. ft. of gas, that's why I prefer the LP series.

Karl

scubafanatic:
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the link, I'd already stumbled on that one though...it's ambiguous, for example, it says ALL Worthington tanks have a galvanized finish, which is untrue, as I just saw PAINTED LP Worthingtons in stock in person last Saturday @ Scubatoys in Dallas, TX.

I'm seeking LP galvanized-only steel tanks......... I can't get HP fills on the local dive boats, so a LP 85 filled to 3000 psi yields 97 cu. ft. of gas, where as a HP 100 @ 3000 psi only yields 86 cu. ft. of gas, that's why I prefer the LP series.

Karl

So why not buy a HP 119 and just underfill it? Depends if the extra $ is worth the galvanize finish i guess :)

I just ordered an HP120 from ScubaToys for $278.10 ($309 less 10% SB discount). Should be here tomorrow or Thursday. I was soooo happy, I ordered a new Transpc II harness and wing today. Might be here Friday or Monday. Now the hard part... how to tell my wife? :D

scubafanatic:
... a LP 85 filled to 3000 psi yields 97 cu. ft. of gas, where as a HP 100 @ 3000 psi only yields 86 cu. ft. of gas, that's why I prefer the LP series.
Doesnt LP mean it is rated for 2400 psi + 10% or 2640 psi? This means an LP85 has a yield of 82.7 cu.ft.

Just wanted to clarify because I am also considering a new tank.

Willie

wet-willie:
Doesnt LP mean it is rated for 2400 psi + 10% or 2640 psi? This means an LP85 has a yield of 82.7 cu.ft.

Just wanted to clarify because I am also considering a new tank.

Willie

What he means is that while 2640 psi is the 10% overfill capacity, some people fill them to the "++" rating of 3000 psi or the "+++" rating of 3500 psi. Some shops don't know about this and only fill them to 2640psi :wink:

Seriously, what he means is that there are people who will intentially overfill tanks, hence his 97 cu ft reference.

Hmmmm...the link posted above does show the LP's as being painted, maybe old stock? XS scuba and Sea Pearls are the distributers for Worthington though. A call to XS scuba would be in order to confirm what they are CURRENTLY producing, as both websites show the tanks as galvanized. :06:

From XS Scuba's website regarding the LP Series.
Hot-dip galvanized exterior finish
Chromium Molybdenum steel construction
"Plus" rated for 10% overfill to 2640 psi

http://www.xsscuba.com/tank_steel.html

Hi Peter C:
Yes, you are correct. All Worthington steel cylinders (13 models) manufactured after approximately November 2005 have a Hot Dip Galvanized finish. For approximately the six months prior to that only the LP Series was available (LP85, LP95, LP108 & LP121) these were manufactured with a painted (white) finish. At that time we were still setting up the galvanizing process. If scubafanatic was to check the hydro date of the painted white cylinder he would find a 2005 year manufacture date.

Anyone who believes the myth that these low pressure cylinders are "over-built" and are safe to pressurize beyond the 2400+ (2640 psi) pressure they are wrong. If you want a more air purchase a larger or high pressure cylinder.

Peter_C:
Hmmmm...the link posted above does show the LP's as being painted, maybe old stock? XS scuba and Sea Pearls are the distributers for Worthington though. A call to XS scuba would be in order to confirm what they are CURRENTLY producing, as both websites show the tanks as galvanized. :06:

From XS Scuba's website regarding the LP Series.
Hot-dip galvanized exterior finish
Chromium Molybdenum steel construction
"Plus" rated for 10% overfill to 2640 psi

http://www.xsscuba.com/tank_steel.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom