Worst Divers Ever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UP,

Thanks for taking this thread where you did. Your insight was very thought provoking. You being such a philosopher took us to a higher level of thought on a dreary Monday.

Thanks,

Larry

My brother recently told me how he feels in the company of others, "Barely tolerated and frequently ignored" I guess my heart goes out to the old man. The shame is that I can also make people feel that way.

I suppose we've all learned a valuable lesson from all this. Exactly what it is, I'm still confused about. I suppose my personal take on it is; insane interloper=ruined dive trip. Personally, I would have been less confrontational with the old man and just left. You never know the old coot might have had a gun or something.

Tolerance and tact. It takes this and much more to effectively handle an explosive situation. We all feel really good when we are absolutely in the right and the other is wrong. It reinforces our own worth.

This situation could have been a chance to present to the "old man" the beauty of the recently completed training. Sometimes for the sake of human interaction it would have been better just to bag the dive which would have save the "old Man" for another day and the ensuing strory that was told would have never happened.

UP has exhibited a keen eye and wit. I guess the old saying that it is takes more of a man (or women) to walk away from a confrontation than to join in it.

DIR? Strokes? These are terms that will probably be in the dust bins in the near future. Diving is still evolving and if we let ourselves hang a label, we then we may feel obligated to live with that label even if something better as envisioned by others comes along.

Tolerance of our differences does not condone unsafe diving practices. Tolerance does allow for other ways of doing the same thing within the limits of our training.

I sympathize with Warren and his story. I have written a few on this board too. I only hope that when I do relate diving incidences that they will be useful for both the readers and the divers(s) that were the subject.

One more take on this...
A man from a village is called by his lord (land owner) to protect the village by going to war far from home. The war ends and the man heads home. Along the way he stops at a tavern to rest. He has a drink, a meal and sits by the fire to warm himself. There are others around and conversation soon begins. The man is asked what brought him to the Inn and he tells the story of going to war and defeating the enemy of the land. He portrays his cause as just and his lord as good. His story ends with the enemy destroyed, and left dead on the battle field. Right prevailed. Some one that was listening bumps into a friend just arriving as the story ended. He tells the new arrival "You must ask that man to tell his story", and that is were the word history comes from. And that is why right always wins. It is not a mystical quality of "right", it is the fact that the defeated do not get to tell there side (they are dead).
Warren it was a pleasure to be in this tavern and hear your history. I was thrilled to hear how the evil was vanquished again. I would not want to hear it any other way.
When someone tells me their history and it comes out "We went to war. We defeated the good. And evil prevailed", that is when I worry about the company I am in.
Etiquette requires that in the Pub we listen to all stories and only contradict if we were there. Everyone gets to form their own opinion. But for the most part only comment on how well the story is told, not as to if it is true are excepted. And certainly not without evidence.
The war story was told. The reason was stated, "I figure we can all learn a thing or two by evaluating the actions of others." So why don't we add to this purpose or create our own threads. The question in hand is not is the story true (what color is the shirt), but how do we handle this situation and others that are similar? And that is something I for one would like to learn. I am New Newbie, OW and one dive.
Oh ya, I'm opinionated and express mine some times to much (I'm not alone in this trait). But this thread seamed valid to me, all I wanted was to "Re-Track" an off track tread. Sorry UP if this comes off as against your P.O.V.

Dafydd
Eternity belongs to everyone. What will you do with your share?

there is usually a lot more said than done!

I don't think that the Pugster was challenging the validity of the data provided. I don't think he was challenging that the "war" was even fought, nor that the teller was wrong in not letting the old man dive with him. He addressed a deeper issue that many may not have noticed.

UP is a DIR devotee, just like the story teller. He detected a confrontational attitude in the telling that many divers cringe at and that the DIR movement has been strongly criticized for. I think that the Pugster took the opportunity to lead the teller to a deeper revelation of how that went down and how it could have gone down. I respect him for that, and I respect VT for accepting the lesson, no matter how painful it might have been.

Some mentoring is done behind the scenes, and few see it and so few benefit from it. When it is done out in the open many can learn, as I surely did. It can be embarrassing for the "mentee" but the resultant humility is always a plus. Even then, this was done without abject humiliation. The Pugster is a thinker, and has a spiritual side too. Although he tries to make people think about what they are doing/saying, I still find his style to be non-confrontational. He is definitely thought provoking. I think we all benefit from seeing the other side of the coin from time to time.

Originally posted by Uncle Pug

Only true ones Warren.
And BTW are you color blind?!

Originally posted by NetDoc

I don't think that the Pugster was challenging the validity of the data provided

I think he was... But that is again off track.
How do you handle a tag-a-long diver? I had not even considered it until I read Warren's thread.
One responce was, seek a higher athourity such as a police officer or ranger, but there must be other ways...

I am not sure that was germaine to the issue at hand, but rather a fun ribbing. My monitor renders it blue as well, with no hint of green. This is a phenomenon of the digital age... different PCs will render the same "color" differently. It varies even within the same model of monitor and can wreak havoc to those who do designing on the PC. WYSIWYG technology is still more fiction than fact.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom