Worried about diving after radius and olna fracture.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

md32903

New
Reaction score
I fractured both bones in my forearm about 3 months ago during a mountain biking trip. They were completely broken and i underwent surgery and had 2 metal plates (surgical steel, I think) and several screws installed.

I'm somewhat new to diving and Am ready to get back in the water after a long recovery process.

I asked my doctor if I could return to diving and he didn't know what free-diving was but said yes, so I'm a little hesitant.

Will I be okay diving. I still have very little strength in my arm, but will not be carrying much weight as I am free diving and not scuba. Will I have a problem with pressure and possible air trapped between/under the implants? My main concern is pressure when I'm diving. I don't dive very deep, usually around 30 feet, and no more than 50.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You won't have any problem with air trapped between your plates or screws. You shouldn't feel a thing at all.
My only concern is that your arm is still weak, so that will change your limits...be really conservative.

Alright, sounds good. To be honest, I've found I don't use my arm much while diving. I have some great fins, real long and flexible, free dive fins, and they seem to do most of the work. I pole spear, and it's pretty light. My main concern was pressure, so hopefully it'll be fine.

Thanks for the quick response.

Usually the rule of thumb is 8 weeks for the larger bones. I shattered three bones in my hand and had pins. The day after the pins were removed, I dove. I probably should have waited a few weeks but I had a class to teach. Just make sure you don't damage the set or arm while diving. You are free diving, so you shouldn't be down long enough for N2 bubble issues... DCS is the real problem with diving after injury, but I think free diving, if you take it easy, may be okay.
Note- I am soooo not a doctor, so others who are, please check in.

Hi md32903,

As regards the rods, plates, screws, wires, pins and other internal fixation devices used in orthopedic reconstruction, these most often are made of a special stainless steel alloy, although occasionally they may be made from titanium or non-metallic materials, including plastics.

Provided that all healing is complete and there are no air-containing spaces in or around the reconstructive apparati (which there should not be), these, in and of themselves, should cause no discomfort as a result of the changes in ambient pressure inherent in free-diving.

However, those with implanted metallic devices sometimes do complain of localized discomfort in cold environments, especially when the devices are set close to the surface of the body, as they often would be in the forearm area.

Return to diving is appropriate:

1. Given that the surgery was a success, and

2. Stability, strength and range of motion in the affected forearm are appropriate for free-diving, and

3. All healing is complete, and

4. Narcotic analgesics are not being taken, and

5. There are no other medical conditions that contraindicate diving, and

6. The orthopedic surgeon has cleared the patient for free-diving.

It would be prudent to protect the forearm from trauma or excessive strain.

DCS is not a concern in free-diving as the inert gas loads generated are below threshold in all but the most extreme cases of frequency and depth of dives.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

DocViking- Is there any problem deep or tech diving with titanium implants?I have a neck fusion from a fracture 9 years ago and plan to start tech soon.

It's a theoretical concern, but I am not aware of any data to support it. I have hardware in my ankle, knee and elbow, and over almost a thousand dives and some staged decompression diving, I've had no symptoms related to any of it.

DocViking- Is there any problem deep or tech diving with titanium implants? I have a neck fusion from a fracture 9 years ago and plan to start tech soon.

Hi tracydr,

None of which I am aware or can foresee.

Of course if you are diving with multiple cylinders/stage bottles, you'll want to avoid possible abuse of the cervical vertebrae from such gear on the surface and boat.

Do enjoy your tech training and diving.

Regards,

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom