World’s deepest pool in Dubai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Several comments were deleted for being political and off-topic.

Religion and politics are only allowed in the Pub. This thread is about a deep pool. Please keep to that subject. Thanks!

Now I'm consumed with curiosity where the waste goes.

Here is an image of a hyperbaric toilet:

full.jpg

There are basically two designs. This one uses a pressure vessel as the toilet bow and the other design has an external sanitary storage pressure vessel with a stainless marine head sitting on larger valves inside. The seat is interlocked to the dump valve to prevent the diver from accidently being sucked out. See: Taylor Diving & Salvage: Emergency Surgery in Saturation

Can an airplane vacuum toilet withstand multiple atmospheres?

Definitely not. We looked into using one as a starting point before developing the toilet in the image above.

There are basically two designs. This one uses a pressure vessel as the toilet bow and the other design has an external sanitary storage pressure vessel with a stainless marine head sitting on larger valves inside. The seat is interlocked to the dump valve to prevent the diver from accidently being sucked out. See: Taylor Diving & Salvage: Emergency Surgery in Saturation

Definitely not. We looked into using one as a starting point before developing the toilet in the image above.
I had no expectation that my question would be answered so thoroughly! Presumably a bucket is the lowest tech solution, but that would quickly become extremely unpleasant. Makes sense that you would have to use a pressure vessel as strong as the rest of the structure. Thanks!

Read the linked thread about the surgery, that’s really scary and interesting at the same time.

Presumably a bucket is the lowest tech solution, but that would quickly become extremely unpleasant.

A bucket or camping toilet (frame, seat, and plastic bag) is pretty typical in double-lock chambers used in surface-supplied diving. You can send the "product" out in the outer lock since you are pressurizing with air off an LP compressor. Usually they aren't in there long enough on a Sur-D-O2 decompression to require sanitary facilities but a treatment table can be long enough that it is hard to hold it.

I am wondering. Shouldn’t it be considered tech diving like wreck or cave diving as opposed to rec? There is no direct access to the surface from everywhere or am I missing something?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom