World record dive attempt underway in South Holston Lake in Southwest Va/NE Tennessee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a lot of tanks and divers to keep a person down that long. When the WR was set in San Marcos at Aquarena, stunt to raise money for the local dive team, they had to rig a water heater to keep him warm.

Even that shallow, there was a lot of nitrogen in his body. So a couple hours of straight o2 would be in order. Not many of us ever plan a multiple day dive.

Me thinks a good bar story is about as much as he'll get out of that stunt lol

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

This happened right in my back yard. I don't personally know Jerry Hall but I have a couple of friends on his support team and our dive shop loaned tanks and other things. I know he raised some money for Speedway Children's Charities doing this. What I was told is that yes he wore a full face mask and also wore double wetsuits...I believe 5 mil. He purged really well before going into the water and basically ate astronaut food. He also had a tv, speakers, as well as an underwater toilet down there. The biggest part for the support team was keeping his skin intact. They had to put some kind of a cream in his gloves and boots. They stayed with him 24/7 and played board games and just anything he wanted to do. As far as surfacing, I was told that they surfaced him at one foot per hour and I am unsure of if they did O2 or not. The dive was done at 15 ft. There was a huge after party on Aug 3rd at the marina where he set the record which also raised money for the Speedway Charities. I saw him then and he was just covered in sores from where his skin degenerated. I heard he immediately went on antibiotics. Definitely not a record that I would want to hold but it did help a noble cause.

One really cool side note: While he was doing this, his fiance took lessons and became OW certified and dove down to see him. I hear they are married now.

Back
Top Bottom