Workouts and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waynel,
Drop the cardio and weight training and do some light stretching instead. A rest at the right time can be good for you.

Thanks DawgDiver. That's why we work out. Use it or loose it. Thanks, Scarface. I certainly plan on laying in the sun with a Dos Equis. But the one hour a day workout for me is just maintenance and part of my every day routine. So, no medical reasons and/or stories from someone hurting themselves doing a one hour workout before or after diving?

I know what you meant...

Diving and exersising the same day should be avoided. Especially if your doing multiple dives. The risk factors of mild DCS are present. Your not off gassing properly while you work out. On the contrary..your increasing your heart rate and lactic acid etc...your not giving your body the chance to rest after a multiple dive day. You can work out on the off days of diving...

But after a full day of diving..your kind of out of it and very relaxed...you may want to take a nap after...chill give your body a rest. Not becasue you did some physical activity..but because of the nitrogen build up in your blood. You need to off gas of sorts. This was pounded into us by our instructor during our DM course...physiology of diving...

We did 4 dives a day for 4 days using Nitrox...I can tell you..I was sleeping like a baby after diner...

DawgDiver:
Assuming we're talking about a boat dive, and not a shore dive with a considerably long walk, we're talking about maybe 300 calories burned MAX. For most people that's not a lot. I'm not saying it's NOT exercise at all, i'm saying it's not a replacement for a regular workout.

However, I admit that it IS physical activity, and is beneficial.

Clarification. I'm not going on a cruise. I'm diving. Staying at Hotel Cozumel. Six straight days of diving.

My routine is basically a mixture of weights and basketball at lunch 5 days a week (if I am not traveling on business). I have to admit to recently noticing that towards the end of the week I am more fatigued (the jumpshot comes up short more often on Fridays!)

What I am not sure about is the aerobic measure of playing 3 games of full court basketball over the span of an hour. It is a great workout, yes, but a lot of stop and go. I should pobably be on a treadmill for the best effect...but I do love basketball.....

In any case, the weights help me manage the pounds of gear on shore dive walks and the BB helps with my endurance to some extent. But it gets harder every year.

Thanks Scarface. I was looking for some medical reasons. Offgassing reason makes sense. If there is any question about safety or health, I'd rather just discontinue the workout until I return home. My wife will also thank you. Means I now have no excuse for not shopping with her in San Miguel. This will cost me more than extra calories!

It is because of them fancy umbrellas....:wink:..too much of a good thing.

Jon C:
My routine is basically a mixture of weights and basketball at lunch 5 days a week (if I am not traveling on business). I have to admit to recently noticing that towards the end of the week I am more fatigued (the jumpshot comes up short more often on Fridays!)

What I am not sure about is the aerobic measure of playing 3 games of full court basketball over the span of an hour. It is a great workout, yes, but a lot of stop and go. I should pobably be on a treadmill for the best effect...but I do love basketball.....

In any case, the weights help me manage the pounds of gear on shore dive walks and the BB helps with my endurance to some extent. But it gets harder every year.

scarefaceDM:
I know what you meant...

Diving and exersising the same day should be avoided. Especially if your doing multiple dives. The risk factors of mild DCS are present. Your not off gassing properly while you work out. On the contrary..your increasing your heart rate and lactic acid etc...your not giving your body the chance to rest after a multiple dive day. You can work out on the off days of diving...

But after a full day of diving..your kind of out of it and very relaxed...you may want to take a nap after...chill give your body a rest. Not becasue you did some physical activity..but because of the nitrogen build up in your blood. You need to off gas of sorts. This was pounded into us by our instructor during our DM course...physiology of diving...

We did 4 dives a day for 4 days using Nitrox...I can tell you..I was sleeping like a baby after diner...

Well I'm going to have to give the benefit of the doubt to you on this one, as I was not previously aware of any negatives to working out and diving on the same day. Do you have any links to anything where I can read more about this?

Can't find the links at the moment, but I'm always a little careful of excercise after diving having got bent a few years back after shifting heavy stuff around and generally doing stuff I shouldn't, albeit after a 70m dive - surfaced unbent and did it to myself an hour or so later :(

Back
Top Bottom