Workouts and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waynel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I workout at least 5 days a week. I do 30 min. on the treadmill for cardio and 30 min weight training, not body building, just to stay strong. I'm diving for the entire week of Carnaval in Cozumel (2-3 dives per day. Can I work out prior or after diving? If so, how long should I wait? If I can't lift, can I still do the cardio? Want to stay in shape, but don't want to die doing it. If it's between diving and workout, the gym will have to wait.

If your diving 2-3 times a day...your doing a mild workout..so why not RELAX after

do the old reach and chill....Reach for your drink as you chill while talking about the days dive....:)

If your no diving..then I would do a mild work out...but your on vacation...

waynel:
I workout at least 5 days a week. I do 30 min. on the treadmill for cardio and 30 min weight training, not body building, just to stay strong. I'm diving for the entire week of Carnaval in Cozumel (2-3 dives per day. Can I work out prior or after diving? If so, how long should I wait? If I can't lift, can I still do the cardio? Want to stay in shape, but don't want to die doing it. If it's between diving and workout, the gym will have to wait.

Shouldn't be a problem. The cruise ship has a fitness center where you can get your workout in. If it was me, I'd do your cardio, and then do your weightlifting as normal, not trying to wear yourself out, but just getting all your muscle groups some activity. This won't wear you out, it'll probably make you feel more energized through the day, and you'll sleep better that night. Diving isn't exercise, you never raise your heart rate enough to do any good, if you did you would be breathing your tank of air down REAL quick.

By the way, you can gain 10lbs EASY while on a cruise so getting your workout in isn't a bad idea at all.

Dude...5 days a week? Contact me when you get back, I think I can help you with treatments only 3 days a week for your mental condition.

Carribeandiver:
Dude...5 days a week? Contact me when you get back, I think I can help you with treatments only 3 days a week for your mental condition.

I workout 6 days a week, nothing wrong with it. Actually it gives your more energy. You should try it sometime.

well I beg to differ....

Diving is a workout in a mild form. If your elevating your heart rate while diving...rethink what your doing.

Diving: Lifting over 50 pounds of gear, walking to a drop off point, climbing up a ladder ( if one is there ) Surface interval. Putting on gear...repeat profile, remove gear...surface interval...put gear back on repeat profile...remove gear..

Diving does give you a mild work out. But it is relaxing all the same...

Cruise ships...you eat like a king...gain weight...maybe...but did you have fun..:wink:

to each his/her own

Safe dives.

scarefaceDM:
well I beg to differ....Diving is a workout in a mild form. If your elevating your heart rate while diving...rethink what your doing.

Diving: Lifting over 50 pounds of gear, walking to a drop off point, climbing up a ladder ( if one is there ) Surface interval. Putting on gear...repeat profile, remove gear...surface interval...put gear back on repeat profile...remove gear..

Diving does give you a mild work out. But it is relaxing all the same...

Cruise ships...you eat like a king...gain weight...maybe...but did you have fun..:wink:

to each his/her own

Safe dives.

Assuming we're talking about a boat dive, and not a shore dive with a considerably long walk, we're talking about maybe 300 calories burned MAX. For most people that's not a lot. I'm not saying it's NOT exercise at all, i'm saying it's not a replacement for a regular workout.

However, I admit that it IS physical activity, and is beneficial.

I'm guessing the OP isn't going on a cruise if they are diving Cozumel 2-3 times a day for a week. Carnival refers to an event not the cruise line :wink:
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
I'm guessing the OP isn't going on a cruise if they are diving Cozumel 2-3 times a day for a week. Carnival refers to an event not the cruise line :wink:
Ber :lilbunny:

Ooops..... missed that! Well in that case he's probably doing a lot of walking on the island and won't need any additional exercise. Besides, it is vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom