Working out after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CenTexDivin

Contributor
Reaction score
Directly above the center of the Earth in the Texa
# of dives
50 - 99
Now I realize that most people will see the title and assume what everyone is taught about strenuous exercise and DCS, but...

At what point should someone feel comfortable about working out after diving for a while?

Should you simply wait 24 hours or abstain for a the determined surface interval until you return to a starting letter or group?

I assume if a person decides to work out then they need to be aware of potential dehydration issues, avoid overworking of joints and saturated tissues. But what else?

i wait about 5 hours or so, if i had to wait 24 hours i would never get any exercise as i dive most days! :rofl2:

So, say finish diving by noon, cycling and the gym at 5pm

If i don't finish diving till 2 or 3 then i usually skip the workout

I have no basis behind this, its just what i do..

Never had a problem working out after diving.

This is a tougher question to answer than exercise BEFORE a dive. Post-dive exertion is a known bender, yet there is research showing that cardiovascular activity, even immediately upon surfacing, may reduce post-dive bubbles. The physiology is that the higher your metabolism, and hence, bloodflow, the faster your off-gassing. However, joint movement can cause bubbles to form. So, at what point does the increased bubble formation overwhelm the increased ability to off-gas? There is no way to know.

It is best to wait several hours to ensure that you are not experiencing subclinical DCS, which is by definition, DCS that you don't notice. If your profile was one that you've done before, are not fatigued, and ensure that you begin with a good warm-up to activate your cardiovascular system, it seems that 3-5 hours is a reasonable interval to wait. The deeper/longer/colder/harder... the dive, the longer I'd wait.

Personally, I just get up early enough to exercise before my dives, but I realize that is not practical for everyone.

Cameron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom