Working in Oahu...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very, very few offer that.

If you are an employee working more than 20 hours a week they are required by law to provide you with some health care option. I've worked for 4 different shops, 2 where I was an independent (one where I worked for less than week, I simply couldn't stand Fritz's lack of personal hygene) and 2 where I was an employee.

Since the way dive shops here use the 'independent contractor' status is actually not correct and illegal (by the definition of an independent contractor) I'm simply not willing to work as one anymore. A simple call and complaint to the board of labor can clarify the issue as well as compel the employer to comply with their legal obligations.

Also the shop I work for now covers my liability insurance (we have one of those group coverage plans) which is a huge $ saver.

I think the law states that they have to offer an option, but they do not have to pay for it. I can't verify that with a quick search on the DOL website, though.

I've always wanted to move back to da Islands.....I live in florida now as its the closest thing to being in hawaii......I looked at apartments a few days ago in the star bulletin....1500-2000 for a studio......no jobs listed in the classified section online.....very disapointed as hawaii will always be where I think of as home:(.....graduated from Radford High class of 84

Since the way dive shops here use the 'independent contractor' status is actually not correct and illegal (by the definition of an independent contractor)

I don't know too much about what's legal or not, just know of shops that do it this way.

Fritz did pay health

Also the shop I work for now covers my liability insurance (we have one of those group coverage plans) which is a huge $ saver.

The one that I am thinking about also pays for this, buy does (not offer) the health insurance the way mentioned above.

I'm glad that you are well taken care of.

Last edited:
If you are an employee working more than 20 hours a week they are required by law to provide you with some health care option. I've worked for 4 different shops, 2 where I was an independent (one where I worked for less than week, I simply couldn't stand Fritz's lack of personal hygene) and 2 where I was an employee.

Since the way dive shops here use the 'independent contractor' status is actually not correct and illegal (by the definition of an independent contractor) I'm simply not willing to work as one anymore. A simple call and complaint to the board of labor can clarify the issue as well as compel the employer to comply with their legal obligations.

Yes, if you are required to work certain hours, you cannot meet the litmus test for an Independent contractor. I used to be nursing director for a large ambulance company in Socal and encountered this legal threshold quite a bit, with the RN's that did the transports. They could not be *scheduled*, you had to call them and give them the option, and move down the list.

My understanding is that you must pay for health insurance , legally for any employee 20 hrs or over. (in Hawaii) I could be wrong, but I believe it just is not enforced.

I'm glad that you are well taken care of.
I am pretty sure his employer does things "by the book"...he has too much to lose otherwise.

Sorry to be a bore but here is the IRS requirements for IC:

Is the worker obligated to comply with instructions about when, where and how the services or work are to be performed? For an independent contractor classification, the company that hires you does not generally give the job instructions.

Is the worker provided training that would enable him/her to perform a job in a particular method or manner? For an independent contractor classification, there generally is little or no training requirement and is usually not provided by the company.

Is the worker performing services that would be considered both essential and an integral part of the operations? For an independent contractor classification, generally, the work you are performing is not essential to the company.

Does the employee personally provide the service? For an independent contractor classification, the worker’s personal services are not required; and that he or she should be free to assign the work to anyone.

Does the business hire, supervise, or pay assistants to help the worker on the job? For an independent contractor classification, the employer should not control you and hire assistants to assist in completion of the job.

Is there a continuing relationship between the worker and the person for whom the services are performed? For an independent contractor classification, the worker would not have any continuing relationship with the company.

Does the Employer establish the work schedule? For an independent contractor classification, the worker would set his or her own work schedule.

Does the Employer require the worker to devote his/her full time to the one Company that he/she performs services for? For an independent contractor classification the worker is free to pursue other work or engagements.

Is the work performed at the place of business of the company or at specific places set by the company? For an independent contractor classification, the location of where the services or work is performed is at the discretion of the employer.

Does the recipient of the services direct the sequence in which the work must be done? For an independent contractor classification, the worker sets his or her own work priorities.

Does the employer require interim oral or written reports to be submitted by the worker? For an independent contractor classification no interim reports are required of the worker.

Would the worker be paid on an hourly, weekly, or monthly basis as opposed to being paid on completion of the job? For an independent contractor classification, the timing of payment coincides with completion of job, rather than in regular intervals.

Does the employer reimburse any business or traveling expenses to the worker? For an independent contractor classification, the worker would not seek any reimbursement for any business related or traveling expenses, and instead would pay for their own business expenses.

Does the company provide essential resources, tools or materials used by the worker in order for the worker to perform on his job? For an independent contractor classification, the worker would be using his/her own tools and equipment.

Has the worker failed to invest in equipment or facilities used to provide the services? For an independent contractor classification, the worker would have made a significant capital investment into equipment, tools, resources and facilities.

Does the arrangement put the person in a position or realizing either a profit or loss on the work? For an independent contractor classification, there is always a possibility of incurring loss, which is entirely would be responsibility of the contractor. The employee designation would mean that there is no possibility of incurring a loss for any work performed.

Does the worker perform services or work exclusively for only one company rather than working for a number of companies at the same time? For an independent contractor classification, the contractor would not be restricted to perform services exclusively for only one company, he or she would be performing services for more than one company at any moment in time.

Does the worker in fact make his/her services regularly available to the general public? For an independent contractor classification, the worker would be marketing his or her services to the general public.

Is the worker subject to dismissal for reasons other than non-performance of the contract specifications? For an independent contractor classification, the right of discharge is limited by contract terms.

Can the worker be compensated for an incomplete job? For an independent contractor classification, there would be no of payment for incomplete work.

These are just some of the important factors used by the IRS. Clearly there may be some unusual situations unique to your business that may require further review for which I strongly recommend that you consult a CPA or tax professional.

You can see how an RN could be an Ind Contactor taking calls and taking it or passing on a transport. You can see how "Merry Maids" are IC but your housekeeper working full time, is not.

My understanding is that you must pay for health insurance , legally for any employee 20 hrs or over. (in Hawaii) I could be wrong, but I believe it just is not enforced.

That is the law here and they do have to pay for it, but I do not know what they do about enforcement. Somehow the state seems to get around that with their own employees as they do not pay 100% of our coverage.

It seems that there is a minimum coverage that must be provided at employer cost. State employee coverage is by far the best there is, but we have no option to go with a plan that would be without cost to us. You either pay your percentage or you don't take any coverage.

All the other jobs I had, they paid 100% of the medical provided and I don't think that they were doing so out of the goodness of their hearts!:D

yes...from the labor board site

Employers must provide health care coverage to employees who work at least twenty (20) hours per week and earn 86.67 times the current Hawaii minimum wage a month ($7.25 x 86.67 = $628). Coverage commences after four (4) consecutive weeks of employment or the earliest time thereafter at which coverage can be provided by the health care plan contractor, which is usually the first of the month.

That is why many companies use part time employess to get around the expense. But using IC this way will land you in hot water, possibly. The bad thing is that when the tax man comes, he adds it up retroactively, with penalities and it can ruin your day.

A gardener could be an IC because his scedule is usually up to him and he uses his tools, etc. , the pool guy....your maid if she works other places and doesn't hit 20 hrs. A scuba instructor scheduled to work in the shop...IS NOT.

That is the law here and they do have to pay for it, but I do not know what they do about enforcement.

I think enforcement really is only a factor is the BL gets complaints from employees. Same goes with the IC status, the taxman doesn't care who pays, so long as he gets paid.

Another reason not to take a job as a IC, YOU pay 15% of your wages, rather than 7.5% (as an employee the company picks up the other 7.5%). Good stuff to think about...

Well, thanks for all the help! Looks like I'm headed back to the Red Sea on Sunday...get in touch if you're out my way!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom