Hello From New Mexico!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RhymesWithSchmilder

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Howdy, guys!

I've been a longtime lurker on ScubaBoard but never really participated until now. I'm really interested in getting into technical, and specifically sidemount diving. I'm looking forward to learning from everyone and to browsing the classifieds!

Thanks for having me; I'm happy to be here,

Schmilder

And so you should

If this is the music sidemount divers get to listen to I might be tempted to get into sidemount too

Sidemount Schmidemount!

Haha, I don't remember if it was The Last Dive or Caverns Measureless to Man but they wrote about a diver waterproofing a Walkman so they could jam during their deco stops. So if you can find a Walkman and the cassette, you could absolutely sidemount to that! (I suppose you could try and waterproof an mp3 player but I'm not sure it would be the same)

What part of NM?

For anything tech get your OC recreational experience first, don't rush it and realize your going to go CCR

I dive mostly in Santa Rosa Blue Hole! It's not incredible, but it's 80' deep and great for practicing skills.

I completely agree, I still feel like such a novice diver -- I don't want to be on the wrong side of the Dunning-Kruger curve 200' down.

Haha, luckily OC is about all I can afford. Maybe someday I'll be fortunate enough to dive a Sidewinder

Don't yet pick sidemount or backmount etc. Wait for more experience and choose based your tec diving needs.

Start saving, the road to tec is long and expensive. The helium shortage will likely make CCR for tec a requirement soon.

The reason I'm leaning towards sidemount is that my goal is eventually to become cave certified, and also I struggle enough to reach my single tank valve, I can't imagine trying to manage two valves and a manifold.

But I completely get it, different tools for different jobs. I've read that backmount is much less of a logistical hassle, especially on a boat, and it seems like it requires a lot less tweaking of the setup to get that perfect trim.

I've been going through equipment lists of some tech schools and making a price list for everything, and you're right, it's very expensive. The classifieds here are a big part of why I joined, I'd love to be able to find some good used equipment

Howdy, guys!

I've been a longtime lurker on ScubaBoard but never really participated until now. I'm really interested in getting into technical, and specifically sidemount diving. I'm looking forward to learning from everyone and to browsing the classifieds!

Thanks for having me; I'm happy to be here,

Schmilder
It's a small community in NM. Welcome...

A lot of people leave NM, like I did.

Yeah, Nuke, I probably won't stay for much longer, but we'll see.

Heya viking dives! I dive with Deep Blue, and I've met you both briefly out in Santa Rosa. I've been thinking about reaching out and seeing if you guys offer the tech fundamentals class

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom