Working as a Hull Cleaner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks. I didn't know that was a big problem? Yeah, not quite sure what to do about hull cleaning? Sounds like it would be good to have your own boats to clean... but working for a company doesn't seem to be too profitable at all. Not sure if it is even worth cleaning a dirty boat only to get maybe 40% or the proceeds? How long do you guys it would take to get a good handle on how to clean and start branching off on your own? I do have the time to build up a business but not sure I want to sludge thru working for a company for awhile. I really haven't heard any good things about the companies around here. Sounds like a lot of shady business practices...

Well, let's face it- that kind of stuff can happen in any line of work, especially labor. I don't think it's any more prevalent in the San Diego hull cleaning community than anywhere else.

As far as your other question goes, absolutely, you can start your own hull cleaning business without any prior experience. But I look at your working for somebody else sort of like taking skiing lessons. Sure, you could probably figure out how to do it on your own, but taking lessons shortens and flattens the otherwise very steep learning curve considerably. I'm assuming you have no previous boat maintenance experience, yes? Going into this business with zero knowlege about the systems you will be asked to maintain could be potentially damaging to your client's boats and harmful to your professional reputation.

If it's me, I'd look at working for a reputable dive service for as long as necessary for me to feel comfortable picking up my own clients and answering their questions about hull cleaning.

Yeah, I completely agree with you. I wouldn't make the leap until I felt confident about everything. Thanks again for the input!

So Dive4Cure, did you go into the hull cleaning business and if so how is it?

DiveLvr

Up here in Alaska a lot of divers do hull scrapping, and its a chore. The rate is 120$ per hour and they are scrapping gill netters and large fishing boats 30-100ft. I haven't done it yet but, I have been talking to the LDS owner and he has been doing it for awhile. The hard part is the chipping, your buoyancy is all over the place since your prying off barnacles and there is nothing to keep you stable.

A hookah setup would be best since you will use a lot of tanks and than means you will have to get out of the water each time you need to swap out. This would save you in the long run and cut your time done.

I suggest a nylon marine rope of 8-10mm and have it tight under the hull. Tied off on the deck and then move it once a section is done. Then have a prusik cord knotted so that you have an anchor for stability. I don't think clipping it off to your harness would be good practice.
Prusik6l.JPG

Back
Top Bottom