Working as a Hull Cleaner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive4Cure

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I'm new to the board and could use a bit of help. Moved out here from the midwest where I retired from law enforcement. Been in San Diego for a couple years now. Have been struggling to find a new career but recently met up with a guy who does hull cleaning. He has offered to train me which was super nice of him. I'd probably look at working for a company after that.

A few questions for you all. If you have any links to previous discussions on this topic don't hesitate to include them!

What equipment will I need to purchase? This is the big thing I'm trying to look into.

Does everyone wear a 7mm wetsuit and hood in the waters here in San Diego to do this type of work?

I'm guessing the waters at the marinas are not very clean... is it recommended to use a full face mask? If so, what's the cheapest one I can buy that will work well? I could always upgrade in the future.

Are there certain types of fins you would recommend? Also, are there certain type of work gloves to wear in the water for this type of job?

I know the guy I spoke with uses a couple tanks that he keeps on the dock and runs his air thru these. Is this the best way to do things? What size tanks will I need? Is there a certain style/length hose I should purchase? Is their a certain style of regulator or breathing apparatus to be used?

What type of insurance will I need and who do you guys recommend going thru for this?

I'm going to talk more with the guy but I'm just trying to do my research since I am completely new to this. I took an open water course when I first moved here but really haven't been in the water since.

If you have a recommendation on place to fill my air card in the San Diego area and possibly buy some equipment from, please let me know. I was going to look a Craigslist for some good deals as well.

Sorry about all the questions. I apologize if this has been discussed several times now. I'll keep doing some searches for previous discussions. If you know of any work in the area, please let me know. I'd appreciate any help or advice that could be provided!

Does everyone wear a 7mm wetsuit and hood in the waters here in San Diego to do this type of work?
I don't wear that much rubber year 'round even up here in the Bay Area.

I'm guessing the waters at the marinas are not very clean... is it recommended to use a full face mask? If so, what's the cheapest one I can buy that will work well? I could always upgrade in the future.
I use the IST full face mask. About $120. No need for anything more.

Are there certain types of fins you would recommend? Also, are there certain type of work gloves to wear in the water for this type of job?
Cheap, rubberized garden gloves are what I wear most of the year. I only go to actual neoprene gloves during the coldest winter conditions.

I know the guy I spoke with uses a couple tanks that he keeps on the dock and runs his air thru these. Is this the best way to do things? What size tanks will I need? Is there a certain style/length hose I should purchase? Is their a certain style of regulator or breathing apparatus to be used?
Consider building or buying a hookah rig. Free air, small footprint, lightweight etc., etc., etc.

What type of insurance will I need and who do you guys recommend going thru for this?
You will need ship repairer's liability insurance. Check with the marinas you plan to work in for coverage amounts. Usually $500,000-$1,000,000. I buy mine from Mariner's General:

Kathy Rupert
(949) 992-4443
kathy@marinersins.com

All San Diego hull cleaners will have to comply with the Port District's Divers Permit beginning in January, 2011. You should educate yourself about this before spending any time or money getting into the business. Also consider joining the California Professional Divers Association:

www.prodivers.org

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info fstbttms! I appreciate it. What thickness wetsuits do you wear during the various times of the year? I'm guessing 7 mm in the winter... but how about the fall and summer? Any recommendations on which brand of wetsuits works best for the hull industry? I like the mask you pointed out... I'll look around to see if any of the local stores sell it. If I end up with that mask, what else would I need to buy to connect to the hose for air... assuming I just go with a hose and tank up on the dock. I've read about the hookah rig... I'll have to see if the marinas are ok with using them around here. I will definitely check up on the divers permit...

What thickness wetsuits do you wear during the various times of the year?...
I wear a custom 1/4" seal-neck jon from Otter Bay Wetsuits that I layer different jackets over. 2.5mm at the height of summer and then go to a 5mm and eventually a 7mm as the water cools down. December through March I use a drysuit.

If I end up with that mask, what else would I need to buy to connect to the hose for air... assuming I just go with a hose and tank up on the dock.
Nothing. You take the mouthpiece off the 2nd stage and simply push the flange into the mask. A zip-tie secures it there.

Go to See Me repair in San Diego and you can probably get a good deal on a wet suit. Don't get an off the rack or you will never be comfortable. Custom is the only way to go or cold water will leak in and slosh around all the time. That defeats to purpose of the suit.

I perfer the Kerby Morgan M-48 Supermask. Amron International in Escondido carries them or look around locally. Ebay is the bomb for the heard gear (regulators, fins, weight belts, etc.) just be sure you can get the item serviced.

The Kerby mask also will accept about any scuba regulator like the IST. I just think the Kerby is a more substantial mask and it is designed and manufactured by commercial divers.

A first stage on a scuba cylinder is the original Hooka setup. Pacific Wilderness is the shop up in the Orange/Los Angeles county area that sells the floating yellow breathing hose that you run between the cylinder and you scuba second stage. Floating hose is best because it will not tangle on anything under water and be a hazard. Make sure you get "breathing" hose. Hydraulic or commercial air hose may have oils from manufacturing and bad stuff in the hose materials that is bad to inhale. Also, never, never, never breath off of any compressor that does not have a breathing air grade air filter downstream of the compressor.

Otherwise, what Fastbottoms said.

I perfer the Kerby Morgan M-48 Supermask. The Kerby mask also will accept about any scuba regulator like the IST. I just think the Kerby is a more substantial mask and it is designed and manufactured by commercial divers.
I am quite sure the M-48 is a superior piece of gear. But it also costs easily 5 times what the IST mask costs. You are paying for bells and whistles that a hull cleaner will never have use for. And when I tell you that I get years of service out of an IST mask with zero maintenance, I am not exaggerating in the least.

I am all about buying good gear, but in my experience, a mask like the M-48 is overkill for this kind of work (hull cleaning).

Thanks Muddiver for the input on the shops. I'll check them out. Yeah, if that mask is 5x the price of the other one it would be out of my range for now. I'd just like to buy some intro stuff to start with as I'm not sure if I'll continue with it or now. Although, the mask fastbottoms recommended sounds like it will do the job for quite awhile. I don't think I'd be able to afford a hooka right now. Sounds like it would be very good to use if I decide to stick with things but it prob would be best just to go with a couple tanks. Ok, so minus any tools, this is what it sounds like I need:

-Wetsuit/hood
-Gloves
-Mask
-Air Tanks (2)
-Booties
-Fins (Any type you all recommend? Split fin, brands, etc.?) Something around one or two hundred in cost would be nice.
-Yellow floating breathing hose (Is there a big difference in price for this as opposed to a non-
floating hose?)
-1st & 2nd stage? I'm kind of lost in the lingo here. Sorry, it has been awhile. Do I need to buy a first and second stage if I go with the full mask and air tanks? Any type you all recommend? Something decent but within reason price wise.
-Insurance
-Snorkel?
-Flashlight?
-What about weights and a weight belt? I'm 6'0, 180 lbs, just to give you an idea.

I'm not planning on running out and buying all of this now but I just want to start looking into it. I'm going to observe my friend for a day or two just to get an idea of what he is doing and then after that I'll start training in the water with him. I guess I could rent some equipment in the meantime, if need be, while I'm looking for my own equipment.

You will spend most of your time crabing the bottom of boats, so anymore weight than about 12 lbs wil be too much. Basic scuba where you want to try to always be neutrally buoyant I use the equasion: (you weight) X 0.10 + 4 lbs

Snorkle? No, please it will just get in the way.

The first stage is the part or a scuba regulator that you attach to the tank. It reduces the pressure in the tank (usually 3000 psi) to an intermediate pressure that the second stage can use.

The second stage is the part of the scuba regulator with the mouth piece. It reduces the intermedate pressure (usually around 135 psi) to the ambient presure so you can breath it without blowing your lungs up like ballons.

For the So. Cal area just get some of those blue rubber dipped gloves or some concrete masons gloves. You don't need the thermal protection as much as protection from abrasion and nasty boat bottom paint.

Use a scuba mask until you think you really want to do this full-time. Then save your ducets for a full face mask.

Try out some ADS Mantarays fins. They are short, easy to manuver in, provide good thrust like Jetfins and are comfortable because of the soft material they are made out of. The local San Diego shops cary them. Split fins are for pleasure divers on vacation. Commercial divers use Jetfins, Rocketfins or Frog Feet because they are hard rubber and last forever.

Cheers,

Mudd

I took an open water course when I first moved here but really haven't been in the water since.
If you took OW a couple years ago and haven't actually dove since your class, seems like it would be a good idea to start by just getting back in the water without trying to clean a hull at the same time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom