Working as a Hull Cleaner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I was planning on taking a refresher course. Last 2 yrs have been hectic... things are just starting to sort out again so I'll have time to surf and dive once more. You're right tho... I've obviously forgotten a lot about the equipment already.

Thanks for the help again Muddiver. I'm going to get up to a store soon and just walk thru all the equipment again.

Do you all use the floating hose that was recommended? If not, what do you use? How long should the hose be?

Meant to add this to the new post above...

I know there are a lot of different regulators out there, any certain ones you all recommend for the industry?

You will spend most of your time crabing the bottom of boats, so anymore weight than about 12 lbs wil be too much. Basic scuba where you want to try to always be neutrally buoyant I use the equasion: (you weight) X 0.10 + 4 lbs
Not to be contrary, but since you will be spending most of your time very near the surface where you are maximumly bouyant, you will need more weight than usual. At 180lbs., using your math, the OP would need about 22lbs., which seems about right to me, maybe a tad on the low side. I probably weigh 220lbs. and depending on how much neoprene I have on, I vary my weight belt anywhere from 30lbs. to 38lbs. to be neutral at the surface.

Do you all use the floating hose that was recommended? If not, what do you use? How long should the hose be?
Just stay away from the stiff yellow stuff that comes with all the recreational-level hookahs. Buy good, commercial-grade breathing hose. I find that 50' is enough for 99.9%of the jobs I have to do.

Ok, sounds good.

Is there a standard rate of pay for entry level divers in the hull business if you're working for a company? Not sure if they pay by the hour or give you a percentage? Any ideas on both ways of pay? Just want to make sure if I find something, it is up to par with the going rates. I assume working for a company would be a good way to start just for the connections I could make with boat owners...

I think the going rate for "employee" divers in SD is 50%. Considering hull cleaning rates down there are already the lowest in the country, you ain't gonna get rich working for somebody else.

Not sure about your intentions, as far as making connections with boaters while working for someone else goes. You definitely will not make any friends in the hull cleaning industry there if you plan on sniping clients from your employer or try to build a side business while working on your boss' dime. Just sayin'. :idk:

I was just thinking of using it for the experience for the time being even if the money isn't much. I could branch off later. Yeah, wouldn't be smart to try to pry clients away. I think more than anything I just want to get my name out there as someone who is reliable, works hard, does a good job, etc... for when I do decide to go out on my own. I'm guessing boat owners and those in the marinas talk, so hopefully in the future it will benefit me and help me get some work. Bummer that SD has the lowest rates. Figures though.

Do you have a recommendation on any types or brands of regulators to keep my eye out for?

Bottom scrubbers around here get paid by the square foot of hull.

Sherwood makes really dependable regulators that are excellant for shallow diving. I have a Sherwood Brut and a Blizzard that are probably as old as I am that I picked up used, had serviced and I have been using them for many years. It also depends on the shop that you plan to go to most often. Just get the brand that they service.

fstbttms: Thanks for making the corrections on the weighting.

Again, not to be a contrarian, but nobody anywhere gets paid by the square foot for hull cleaning. It might be nice if we did, but boat hulls are generally not measured that way and I challenge you to find square footage (or wetted surface, as we say) measurements for any boat you can name. They just simply aren't available, except maybe on a naval architech's drafting table (or CAD workstation these days). No, we generally get paid by the length of the boat. I personally use the length on deck (LoD) measurement but some divers use the waterline length (WLL) although this measurement is always shorter than the LoD.

I met this girl a bit ago that I should have got paid by the square foot. ha.

Thanks again for all the advice guys. I have a good idea of what to look for now. Just a matter of getting out in the marina with him in the next day or two. I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future.

Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom