work-study program for DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AussieNSW

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everyone! I'm an American and just moved to Australia. I'm on the work and holiday visa and have been working a temp promo job. My partner and I want to get our DM certs (I am AOW/nitrox, he is OW, both over 30 dives). We would like to find a good dive shop that will enable us to work for them while getting/studying the DM certs.

Do any of you know a good place to do this? I've heard of many but I'm not sure which one to go to.

We are open to doing it here, or in the Philippines, Malaysia, Thailand, Bali, Fiji, or really any of the surrounding little islands in Asia Pacific! The more exotic the better.

If you do know of a place, is housing included? Food? Equipment (we don't have any except snorkel and wetsuits)? Diving quality? Do you need work visas to do it? How long is the program (1 month, 2 months? 3?)

Thank you so much!

i hear:

Attachments

• crickets_chirping,jpg.gif
    crickets_chirping,jpg.gif
    29.8 KB · Views: 72
OW and AOW, 30 dives, no gear; are you feeling the calling to become responsible for the safety and well being of other divers or just looking for some fun? There are cheaper ways to go diving. On the other hand, I'm sure there's an agency somewhere that will sell you the course.

I'd like to be able to work as a DM on a boat for a few years. But I'm not sure anymore if I'll have the time and money to do it this year. I love diving, the only reason I don't do it more and don't have my own gear is the $$.

As a DM it is likely you will not get much work on a boat. Unless you are also a diesel mechanic, compressor tech, licensed captain, 4 or 5 star chef, etc. Frankly except to instructors DM's are not worth much. Most DM's on boats are instructors. They can be an additional source of revenue for the op by being able to teach classes, certify referrals, etc. In addition a cheap course is not really going to be cheap by the time everything is figured in. Cheap for the op yes as you are going to pay them for the "priviledge" of being their indentured servant for time.

I would not even consider becoming a DM until I had my own gear minus tanks. Just go out and dive. A better bet would have been to dive at home and bought your gear instead of a plane ticket to Australia. Now that you are there just enjoy the trip.

i am in a similar position, except i live in Australia, and intending on travelling north or out of Australia.

I've talked to people in Cairns while there and in Egypt (Dahab) and ofcourse many people in sydney... all have the same story.

you'll never earn money DM'ing while travelling, they're a dime a dozen.... either do the IDC or work in a bar/resort and dive on your days off.

I am intending to gain my DM at the start of summer in Australia then IDC in autumn. this is going to be all up minimum $6k in course fees and as a DM i receive no payment in sydney, just free boat dives, air and better discounts... as an instructor i will be paid, but it's certainly not going to provide me anywhere near enough $$ to live (in sydney)...

also something to consider... my dive centre has all but told me i can't do my DM without my own gear, while they can't obviously force me, the advantages of having my own gear are obvious, so that was another $2++k which I've already invested in (sans tank)....

it's expensive unfortunately... even places in Koh Tao charge and you are not assured of a job.

http://www.idckohtao.com/instructor-internship-koh-tao.htm

niiiice... IE "Pass Guarantee" :s

at the end I guess being a professional diver in recreational diving (i.e. DM/IDC) is an employers market, so you either need to be well trained and very professional or very cheap.

although I have wondered if being a mechanical engineer would qualify me to be a ship's engineer :p as long as the manual for the engine is EXTENSIVE i should be right ;-)

Last edited:
i think 30 dives is not enough to go for a dm, but just my opinion. i would not suggest my a friend to get certified through someone that inexperienced. not saying i am more experienced but no where near getting my dm, but enjoy australia, wish i was there.

you need to complete the AOW, rescue, DM courses and 60 logged dives.

or go into an internship until you A meet the minimum levels of skills and B have 60 logged dives.

well, it can be done!

i worked in byron bay for my rescue and free accom, then headed to koh tao and worked for my DM. not only was it friendly on the wallet but i learnt a lot more than others just turning up wanting a DM badge to pin on them

btw i lost count of the amount of instructors that i've seen turn to DM's for help. Not all DM's are wannabe instructors lol

Back
Top Bottom