Divemaster programs in SE Asia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gerogers

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

I'm hoping to do my Divemaster this fall (starting August/September) in Southeast Asia. Looking for a reputable shop and I've heard great things about Indonesia and the Phillippines. Ideally I'd like to find somewhere where I'd have a chance at finding employment afterwards, but opportunities seem slim. Any recommendations for great DM programs or advice for finding work afterwards?

Thank you!

Hi all,

I'm hoping to do my Divemaster this fall (starting August/September) in Southeast Asia. Looking for a reputable shop and I've heard great things about Indonesia and the Phillippines. Ideally I'd like to find somewhere where I'd have a chance at finding employment afterwards, but opportunities seem slim. Any recommendations for great DM programs or advice for finding work afterwards?

Thank you!
Are you Filipino or Indonesian...why would any local dive shop want to employ you (and in most cases you're not legally allowed to work anyway). There are many qualified locals in these locations looking for the same jobs. Maybe if you combined knowledge of tank filling/Nitrox fills, compressor maintenance, and maybe speak 2-3 languages a local shop would at least give you a look.

Scuba Junkies h a great DM progran. You cando it in Komodo or Mabul (Malaysia).
Many of the people working for them started in their DM course.
You neglected to add their DMs are Malaysians or Indonesians...not from Boston!

You neglected to add their DMs are Malaysians or Indonesians...not from Boston!
Yes the DM's working for them as locals will be locals, many of them will have started as boat or resort crew and have become DM's. The anglo foreigners that work for them sometimes work as resort staff ( ie working answering emails and booking staff) or become instructors and then work for them as instructors.
I have seen women at SJ starting as resort staff and end up being DM's. I really appreciate that they work hard to not only train locals but Women from their local communities.

I had a friend an instructor, do that, even he wasn't as good as a local dive master. He ended up finding a girlfriend, getting married, having kids. Then the GF put pressure on him to take them to his home country Canada. Long story short, there are a lot of people over there that will tell you, I love you, and use you as a ticket to the USA, even if it takes a couple years. Also he couldn't afford to feed his family working over there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom