Work sending me to Roatan for a month.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seeker242

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So my job is sending me to Roatan for a month.:) Free dive "vacation"! I'm not sure where I will stay yet but I'm working on a ship at the drydock. I'm guessing it's probably somewhere near the Roatan Shipyard in French Harbor.

My main concern is finding food as I'm a strict vegetarian AKA vegan. Are there restaurants around that area? What about supermarkets?

Does anyone speak English there? Would it be good to get malaria meds? If so, what kind?

I'll probably have at least 1 day off per week and of course I want to go diving. What good dive operators are in that area that you would recommend? Any particular dive sites that are a must see?

Is crime something to be concerned about?

Last edited:
I'm not overly familiar with the south side but here's a few things.

Eldon's supermarket is in French Harbor and two others are in Coxen Hole - Popular Grocery Stores on Roatan Island

Slightly west of French Harbor is Barefoot Cay. Barefoot Divers there takes walk-ins - we did one day. Arguably the most famous dive on Roatan is Mary's Place, it's five mins. from their dock. Nice operation. Black Pearl Divers provides diving for the Clarion Suites guests in French Harbor. They dive out of Pristine Bay which is straight north a couple miles.Being there for a month see if either will let you extend a dive pkg. over that time - dives are around $40-45 but 10+ is often $30/dive.

We did Malarone for malaria. Find a travel clinic in your area - they often know more about travel meds than doctors - mine referred me.

Most local people understand some English - I don't recall having a problem communicating - even in Coxen Hole which seemed more locals than tourists but the cruise ships also dock there so they likely speak English often.

Here's a pretty complete restaurant list but most are going to be in the West End or West Bay. One of my friends doesn't eat red meat and she had no problem finding options. The Best Roatan Restaurants 2016 - TripAdvisor

I personally didn't see any indications of crime except the dive resorts are all gated, fenced and some have their own security. They do say don't walk between the West End and West Bay at night as there have been robberies. Also it's not a great idea to go into Coxen Hole at night although during the day it seemed very benign.

The dry docks are close together, but the big newest one is located just NNW of Fantasy
Island Resort FIBR.

The resort itself is not at all recommended, but the dive op is quite acceptable and would be a good option. I note on your SB profile you state "DIR Practitioner" which on Roatan, with the exception of maybe 2 dives ops, would be a relative unknown, thus of limited application.

Thoughts on biting insects- Remember that the majority of posters here are vacationers who are being rinsed-off several times a day and have the opportunity to reapply DEET. Know that the stated greater percentage of DEET merely reflects its resistance to being sloughed of by naturally occurring bodily perspiration.

You are going to be in a humid zone of mangrove area, directly exposed to metal decking that will likely reach 110 degrees. The sand fleas are attracted to decaying vegetable matter which includes lumber and ropes. Stuff you sit on. Sand Fleas are for you a huge concern.

I would find the USGI cream style DEET and bring a bunch. That might help you with the sand fleas. Otherwise, for the mosquitoes, I would err on the side of caution, do the Malaria pills- but you must have experience with this situation if you have worked in any shipyard in Southern climes.

Lucky you!

For our trips to Roatan we took malaria meds and we got vaccinated for typhoid and Hepatitis A at the advice of our travel medicine physician. We also had our other vaccinations updated - like tetanus - just as a routine precaution that would be applicable in any part of the world.

You should seek and follow medical advice before traveling. Your local public health department may offer travel medicine consultations and meds for free or at a lower cost, so check it out.

But definitely take protection against malaria. It is a terrible disease that can kill you or at least make you very, very sick for a long time. Luckily they do not have the highly virulent and resistant forms of malaria on Roatan so the drugs aren't bad.

But there are no vaccines for chikungunya and dengue so mosquito protection is still of vital importance.

And since you really like fruit and vegetables you should be aware of precautions against water/food-borne illnesses.

Roatan is a lovely place and I hope you have a good experience and great diving, but you need to be aware of the health issues and take precautions, IMO.

Have fun!

Last edited:
malaria meds and we got vaccinated for typhoid and Hepatitis A at the advice of our travel medicine physician. We also had our other vaccinations updated - like tetanus -

Did all that yesterday! Thanks. :)

Most of your questions have been answered correctly already.

Crime - yes there is crime on the island, just like anywhere. Lock your stuff up and don't put yourself into the situation to be a victim, AKA situational awareness. There are area's in French Harbor and Coxen Hole you want to stay out of. Once your there you will get the feel of the island pretty quick.

I will second the 3 dive ops already mentioned, Barefoot, BlackPearl, and FIBR.

BTW - you suck, I am jealous:p

So I arrived this morning. Apparently I'm working literally right next door to barefoot divers! Pretty windy though. Although there does not seem to be much swell in the water. I guess the south coast is somewhat protected?

It is more protected than the north side of the island during passing weather fronts, but currently they are enduring mostly easterly winds which will all have an effect on the south side seas. The winds have been brutal, but seem to be calming somewhat. Windfinder.com is a great resource. You can monitor the winds at the airport, which is not far from where you are.

.... currently they are enduring mostly easterly winds which will all have an effect on the south side seas.

And these winds will also keep the bugs grounded on the South side. There is an upside.

Apparently I'm working :bash: literally right next door to barefoot divers!

That's what makes Barefoot such a :eek: unique place.

Last edited:
The Course Director that conducted my Instructor's Development Course is a vegetarian and lived/worked in Roatan for 10 years. So you should be safe.

Back
Top Bottom