Worcester, MASS: is there any diving around there

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepBound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there anywhere at all to do some diving near Worcester Massachusetts? A little lake or anything interesting?

Water? Yes.....
Interesting? I don't know....

There is Lake Quinsigamond in Worcester. One side of the lake is relatively deep (I recall 60ish feet) and the other side is quite shallow (15ish feet).

--Matt

DeepBound:
Is there anywhere at all to do some diving near Worcester Massachusetts? A little lake or anything interesting?

Inland Divers in Leicester should be able to point you to freshwater dives "near" (a relative term) Worcester. The ponds that come to my mind that are "near" Worcester are: South Pond, Lake Lashaway, Brooks Pond, Browning Pond, Comet Pond, Dean's Pond. I've been in all of them (Brooks Pond most recently) and they are fine if you dive to dive but if you are interested in seeing things I suggest a drive to the ocean :D

What about the Black Stone river? :)

You might come back out with an extra arm or gills but mutations are not that bad...

do it easy:
There was a bar in Worcester that was quite a dive. I believe it was called Ralf's. If I recall correctly, it had some good beers on draught and was a nice mix of biker's and college students. :D

http://www.ralphsdiner.net/

"The Icemen" (white guys with a bad case of the blues) played there many times. And yes, I was there many times.

Thanks for the ideas!
is there any viz at Lake Quinsigamond or at those other ponds?
This'll give me something to do in the evenings while stuck down there this week on a business trip :)

DeepBound:
Thanks for the ideas!
is there any viz at Lake Quinsigamond or at those other ponds?
This'll give me something to do in the evenings while stuck down there this week on a business trip :)

I've not dove Quinsigamond but the others range from "OK" to poor. I would shy away from Lashaway; it's a weedy mess with beaucoup boat traffic. Of the others Brooks Pond has the cleanest water but it's bottom is mud/muck and I've been 6" from the bottom without really seeing it.

In spite of the warnings of boring diving I picked Lake Quinisagamond to go get wet in, and literally bumped into what looked to me like a pretty recently-sunk upside down white Cadillac. I wish I had investigated more.. if i had dug a bit maybe I could have seen the windows and looked inside.. all I got to see was inside the trunk, which oddly enough was open, and had a CD-rom drive labelled "nagivation CDROM". Does that make any sense? I started wondering if I was narced, looking in the trunk and seeing a CD player...:confused:

Back
Top Bottom