WooHoo!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jewey4

Reaction score
Just wanted to share the excitement of my new toy. I now have my Oly 5060 and Ikelite housing. It's so exciting! It's also my first digital camera so I'm obsessed with the view/delete/view/delete luxury of it all! I can't wait to finally hit the water and keep those memories! I've got 3 weeks before I go out to Catalina, so hopefully I can figure out some of these controls!

Thanks for all the advice from this board. I'm sure I'll be happy with this.

I'm obsessed with the view/delete/view/delete luxury of it all!
Hopefully there will be some keepers in there! :D

Shoot until your fingers bleed! :D

Dee:
Shoot until your fingers bleed! :D
Do any of you hold your camera with a death grip like I must be doing? My right hand gets sore from holding my 5050 (pt-015) for subsequent dives. I try to rest my hand every so often by holding the arm with my left to give the other hand a rest, but still...!

I wonder if working out my hand muscles with one of those gripping, squeezing, gimmicky things would make it better!

Have fun with your new toy jewey4! And don't hold it too tightly!!

kelphelper:
Do any of you hold your camera with a death grip like I must be doing?

Nope. I hold it securely but not THAT tight! Do you use a coiled lanyard or other security device attached to you? I know if I have to drop my rig for any reason, the coiled lanyard will save it. I don't feel the need for a death grip!

[QOUTE/] I hold it securely but not THAT tight! Do you use a coiled lanyard or other security device attached to you? I know if I have to drop my rig for any reason, the coiled lanyard will save it. I don't feel the need for a death grip![/QUOTE]

Where exactly do you attach the lanyard? I want to get one and another kind of strap as back up but the ikelite housing doesn't seem to have anyplace to attach it securely. Right now, I could see myself attaching it somehow to the tray but since I don't have a strobe right now, I was thinking of not even using the tray until I purchase one. The tray just seems to get in the way and make it so much heavier (well I guess it won't be once I'm in the water!). I guess I should get use to the tray since I will eventually be getting a strobe for it.

Dee:
Do you use a coiled lanyard or other security device attached to you? I know if I have to drop my rig for any reason, the coiled lanyard will save it.

That's a natural assumption for my grip, but I have it on a coiled lanyard and have the utmost confidence in it. I just hold it too tightly!

I need a new mantra.... Relaaaaax the fingers.... relaaaaax the fingers.... :wink:

jewey4:
Where exactly do you attach the lanyard? I want to get one and another kind of strap as back up but the ikelite housing doesn't seem to have anyplace to attach it securely. Right now, I could see myself attaching it somehow to the tray but since I don't have a strobe right now, I was thinking of not even using the tray until I purchase one. The tray just seems to get in the way and make it so much heavier (well I guess it won't be once I'm in the water!). I guess I should get use to the tray since I will eventually be getting a strobe for it.

I am not familiar with the Ikelite housing, but if there is some sort of cord and an opening for it, you could gerry-rig a plastic tie to the lanyard for the housing. I think I would be more confident in the tray. Might as well get used to it!

Where exactly do you attach the lanyard?
I Attach the Lanyard to the Ikelite Handle/BasePlate. I would think the setup would be more awkward without the handle than with it. I have the Double handle on my 5050 housing and tie the lanyard to the center of the baseplate. Worked fine that way even when I still used the standard single handle My setup is slightly negative when in the water, but the weight is barely noticable. WHen the lanyard is clipped in the shortened position, I can just let the rig dangle when I need to (Which is usually just during my ascents and safety stops.) Just be careful to not get too close to the bottom without picking it up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom