Unknown Woody From “Dive Talk” DCS and Medical Journey

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DAN’s response

Not sure if correct thread, move if necessary.

Also, the same diver could do an identical dive, under identical conditions. One day he's fine, the other he has DCS.
False. If the dive was truly identical, in all respects, he would not get DCS.

But, it is impossible to be identical in all respects, and there are so many seemingly inconsequential differences that can add up to DCS/no-DCS on apparently identical dives. All those little differences add up. Don't add risky differences that you don't have too.

Lots of people are focused on Woody behind dehydrated. That's worth considering. However, I would guess Woody probably has at least 100 (perhaps 1000s) other deco dives, without a p-valve. So why this dive?
All those dives were riskier than they had to be. Why this dive? some of those other differences. May be the combo of air dil and high exertion near max depth, along with many other little variables.

The number of factors are practically endless. For example, someone I know well had severe headaches for many years, visited many doctors, tried many medications. However, finally one doctor did an allergy test, and discovered a food allergy. Once that food was cut out, the headaches were gone.

What caused Woody to get DSC this time could be something as random and unpredictable as what he had for lunch the previous day.
But, not by it's self. It would not be just one cause.

Amex medical evacuation benefit would cover the flight, but must be arranged through them. The care afterward would not be covered.
Can you expand on that please, so I don't have to call AMEX, like pulling teeth sometimes?

Does the Med/ Evac' benefit only come with a Pink DT/ Platinum card?
Or does the AMEX Gold card have it also?
How about their AMEX Regular card?
If you know, Thanks.

But, it is impossible to be identical in all respects, and there are so many seemingly inconsequential differences that can add up to DCS/no-DCS on apparently identical dives. All those little differences add up. Don't add risky differences that you don't have too.
That's not what I meant or said.

But if you want to nitpick, sure, if you were able to replicate absolutely 100% of everything, you should also be able to replicate whether they get DCS or not.

Reactions: L13
Can you expand on that please, so I don't have to call AMEX, like pulling teeth sometimes?
It seems only platinum gets free evac. Any cardholder can get them to organize an evac, but you will be billed. Nobody gets free treatment beyond what the evac provider does in transit, so that is where DAN or a similar policy would be highly useful.

That's not what I meant or said.

But if you want to nitpick, sure, if you were able to replicate absolutely 100% of everything, you should also be able to replicate whether they get DCS or not.
You replicate the dive profile all you want, but the condition of the diver will vary day to day. Two other people were on the same dive all three of them cleared their deco obligations on their DC and only one got bent.

You replicate the dive profile all you want, but the condition of the diver will vary day to day. Two other people were on the same dive all three of them cleared their deco obligations on their DC and only one got bent.
If the condition of the diver is changed, it's not an identical dive.

Are you suggesting clones? Parallel universes? Time loops? That would be a sucky time loop where you just get bent, over and over again.
I am suggesting:

If that sounds like clones, parallel universes or time loops to you, you should work on your English comprehension.

ETA: it helps to read the thread.

Back
Top Bottom