Unknown Woody From “Dive Talk” DCS and Medical Journey

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as the post dive actions are concerned. His symptoms boiled down to "Woodie was very tired". I suspect many of us here on Scubaboard would also try to sleep that off.
That isn't even close to how i was presented to the video. Tired divers don't colapse on exit, breath O2 for hours, while their buddies deal with removing and stowing their gear. In the video, Woodie says he knew something was seriously wrong even before they left the dive site.

Unless, you are right:
Maybe with the modern Youtube translator ring, the video just boils down to "Woodie was very tired". But in that case the rest boils down to "DAN didn't ask how high when I said jump."

I am awaiting on DAN to reimburse my minor DCS hospital visit, should be about 30-45 days after I submitted all paperwork. If you dive, especially in foreign countries, you better have the means to get yourself un****ed. If you didn't know that before, you should now. I love AMEX Platinum, pays for itself every year without the evac insurance. Global Rescue is also something people should look at. Was with a very sick traveler in MX, and she did not want to have surgery in MX (was not necessary) but I was already on the phone with AMEX starting to arrange transport.

That isn't even close to how i was presented to the video. Tired divers don't colapse on exit, breath O2 for hours, while their buddies deal with removing and stowing their gear. In the video, Woodie says he knew something was seriously wrong even before they left the dive site.

Unless, you are right:
Maybe with the modern Youtube translator ring, the video just boils down to "Woodie was very tired". But in that case the rest boils down to "DAN didn't ask how high when I said jump."
I disagree and feel you have some vendetta against so are clearly biased in any analysis. Knit picking over them talking about sitting next to a pretty girl is Woodys humor, he always makes semi sexual innuendos in his videos about penetrating holes. If you don’t like his humor, fine, but look at the meat of what happened.

I think we are lucky to have Dive Talk provide such a detailed accounting of the accident. Most descriptions of accidents are from a single perspectiv, here we are getting multiple perspectives from a couple of guys with experience sharing.

Hindsight is always 20/20. A headache coming up? Must have sinuous issue… We are being given the facts after filtering out all the minutia. Gus and Brian were going by the information being given to the by someone who wasn’t all there. They had there travel delayed by more than a day and could easily mistaken some of Woody’s symptoms as travel fatigue (he is the oldest guy on the team). I was surprised when they started talking about steaks, too.

Blaming DAN for not have a set evacuation plan for every little back water dive site in the world is not surprising. This one was 100 miles off Miami, but we are talking about 700 islands with 41 airstrips In the Bahamas alone. How many in the Caribbean, SE Asia?

Most accidents are not the result of a big stupid error. They are the result of several smaller errors (dehydration, a restriction, choice of gas model, ignoring symptoms, worrying about the wrong thing).

I think it is going to be interesting to see what happens with this accident. Dive Talk has a forum that will make the review of DAN procedures much more visible. I hope this is able to improve the services divers are buying and DAN’s ability to respond. I think their willingness to share is commendable (openness is usually punished, relentlessly).

I disagree and feel you have some vendetta against so are clearly biased in any analysis. Knit picking over them talking about sitting next to a pretty girl is Woodys humor, he always makes semi sexual innuendos in his videos about penetrating holes. If you don’t like his humor, fine, but look at the meat of what happened.
But they themselves did not "look at the meat of what happened"?🙄

yup - they ignored obvious signs of a potentially serious issue for many hours...
We agree. It is something to learn from. To take signs more seriously and recognize them earlier. It’s hard to admit you are having a problem and to seek medical care immediately. That’s what I have gathered from this. To recognize the signs and not being afraid due to pressure to admit everything is all fine.

I’ve been under this pressure in the past and have pushed myself to dive when I shouldn’t have. I doubt I’m the only one

I think you are the one with the bias. He clearly states that his condition was more than just "Woodie was very tired", and that he knew that even before they left the dive site. Yet you feel that is a legitimate summary of the first 30 min of the video. And yet we are to assume he didn't do the same thing with the interactions with DAN? Is that not biased?

How is the objective observer supposed to know which parts are juvenile shtick put on for his Youtube fans, and which parts are accurate reporting?

I was trying to take the video seriously. Maybe I shouldn't have.

Back
Top Bottom