Unknown Woody From “Dive Talk” DCS and Medical Journey

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think a lot of people feeling poorly tend to say “let me just go back to bed…“ “damn, maybe some oxygen will help”. Feeling like crap is very demotivating. How many people went out to the store or work because they didn’t think the tickle in their throat was a big deal? People often fail to comprehend their own mortality. we tend to normalize risks, even when we shouldn’t.
Did you watch the video? It wasn't "I fell like crap .. oxygen will help". As he exited the water, he was barely able to make it to the O2. He felt like he couldn't breath even on O2. As he was getting into the vehicle, he says he knew something was seriously wrong. On the trip back to the dive shop Gus was in the back helping him with the O2, rather than the front seat. etc. for 4 hours.

The point is, if you are right, the video is very inaccurate. And if the video is factually accurate, then your interpretation is inaccurate. You can't have it both ways. The truth is probably somewhere in between, but we will never know where.

An interesting thing to note is that they have shown no video of the period from the ascent till the hospital. Given typical Youtuber behavior I can't imagine nothing was recorded during that 6 hours. I would expect there is video of them exiting the water. We should be able to see just how desperate Woodie was for the O2 and how hard it was to get to it, etc. I suspect narrative control is why we haven't seen that video.

Look it up man. Chase cards you don’t need too
Lucky you

I have to contact my bank before going to SE Asia otherwise I might not be able to use my CCs in places like Philippines or Indonesia.

Mea Culpa. I have been echoing a 6 hour interval between dive and calling DAN. It appears the actual time was 3 hours and 43 minutes.

I applaud Woody and Gus for putting this out there, and wish Woody a speedy recovery. For years I've listened to people complain about how there is never any detailed information about incidents (thankfully not an accident here!). Now we have video, first person accounts, everything. A lot of great points have already been made so I'll try to think of a few questions that haven't been discussed much and focus on the dive video and the information on the computer. I don't see any information about the dil but the max depth is 145. Could narcosis have played a factor? Sure, particularly when you're scared. The comments about a possible C-O2 situation are well taken, headache, unable to catch his breath, he was working hard in the restriction at depth, likely unable to push the gas through the loop and keep it moving. Woody mentioned shallow breathing and I wonder if he was in a position mentally to monitor his PPO2 up close to the surface? What did the sorb look like when Gus took the scrubber canisters apart? Anything seem weird? (wet, clumpy, channeled?) How about "goal oriented diving?" Why are we going through the restriction, is it to see the cool room, or to be the first person to go through it with a particular piece of gear, or to make a video? After Gus didn't make it, what was the motivation for Woody to give it a go? Is it better just "to see pretty wet rocks"? What kind of MAV were you all diving on the rigs? Gus evidently pulled the dil hose off of his so I'm guessing two buttons. It might be a good time to think about that. What happens if a less experienced diver is in that situation without Brian Kakuk available to help? If both hands are in a "superman" position, can you close the DSV and get a reg in your mouth? 151 minutes on a CCR certainly isn't excessive but is that something Woody does on a regular basis? How about 70 minutes of deco? I know that Woody is in good shape but does age play a factor here? (I'm older, I believe, so that's not a dig, Woody). Can someone who is really educated about decompression theory AND is also a good cave/CCR diver school us a bit on the question of Woody approaching a 100% CNS time limit (I think it's 210 for 1.2 on the tables if I remember)? Would he have been in any actual increased danger by elevating the PPO2 on deco? Did Woody signal Gus or Brian and indicate he wasn't feeling up to snuff on the way out? Did he consider it? If you hang out with exceptional divers, does it distort your perception of your own capabilities (which remain the same regardless of who you hang out with)? I realize that I suck at sugar-coating so please understand that I'm just trying to ask the right questions. I like Gus and Woody a lot and they are cool doodz, and I hope to see them here and 100% healthy soon!

An interesting thing to note is that they have shown no video of the period from the ascent till the hospital. Given typical Youtuber behavior I can't imagine nothing was recorded during that 6 hours. I would expect there is video of them exiting the water. We should be able to see just how desperate Woodie was for the O2 and how hard it was to get to it, etc. I suspect narrative control is why we haven't seen that video.
I thought about this too. Spot on... why not show it?

Mea Culpa. I have been echoing a 6 hour interval between dive and calling DAN. It appears the actual time was 3 hours and 43 minutes.
I thought that they said in the video 6 hours. If I'm wrong then so be it, I refuse to wade through that thing again one way or the other, lol

thankfully not an accident here!
This was an emergency instead of just an incident because they didn't act accordingly for the symptoms he displayed. It should have been handled immediately but as written off as Woody is old and cold. This was 100% an accident in the sense that he was hurt.

I thought that they said in the video 6 hours. If I'm wrong then so be it, I refuse to wade through that thing again one way or the other, lol
I thought so too. But someone else posted the actual times (@Boarderguy). I too am unwilling to wade through it again to verify.

But if they did, it would be consistent with the typical exaggeration that occurs in retelling stories, and a further reason to withhold judgement of DAN till the actual facts come out.

Lucky you

I have to contact my bank before going to SE Asia otherwise I might not be able to use my CCs in places like Philippines or Indonesia.
Deleted

Back
Top Bottom