Unknown Woody From “Dive Talk” DCS and Medical Journey

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My takeaway from all of this is to start carrying my AMEX card with me on trips. I usually only take one credit card and it isn’t the AMEX since it isn’t widely used everywhere.

right. Abaco is 1 hour flight from Miami. It’s not that remote. I and many others here have been way more remote than the Bahamas lol. The proof is that woody obtained a medvac flight in an hour on his own. DAN should have contacts within Bahamas and South Florida to scoop people up for these emergencies. The kind of thing they claim to be the best at. They dropped the ball here and the only reason woody got it reimbursed is because he’s semi famous in dive community and they will try to correct the record.
Dude, you don't seem to get it. Its 1 hr from Miami, when the airport is open. I have no clue who DAN uses to medevac people from the Bahamas, but I am pretty damn sure they don't have the same phone numbers saved that I have, or Brian has, or the people Brian knows have. Expecting DAN's call center to have local knowledge is downright crazy. So no, its not surprising that they were able to arrange something better than a call center in Raleigh Durham.

And for the references to calling 911 that others have made, it doesn't work in Abaco.

Dude, you don't seem to get it. Its 1 hr from Miami, when the airport is open. I have no clue who DAN uses to medevac people from the Bahamas, but I am pretty damn sure they don't have the same phone numbers saved that I have, or Brian has, or the people Brian knows have. Expecting DAN's call center to have local knowledge is downright crazy. So no, its not surprising that they were able to arrange something better than a call center in Raleigh Durham.

And for the references to calling 911 that others have made, it doesn't work in Abaco.
I fully get it man. Woody arranged a flight by using google. The airport was open as woody was airlifted away. So I don’t know what you are trying to imply or making excuses for a company who’s job it is to provide med vacs. Please stop saying the airport was closed when it clearly wasn’t lol.

I have higher expectations for a company who prides itself in saving divers and providing life saving medvacs. It’s the Bahamas. A popular dive destination that is 1 hour from Miami. If woody was on a liveaboard 24 hours away from nearest hospital, then I could see the logistical nightmare and taking more time.

Dehydration not a factor.

33:57 "...the point is, hydration IS still important, I am NOT saying it isn't a factor, but it is far from the most important factor"

"... Neal Pollock presented this at a DEMA show a couple of years ago, he didn't say it, but the way that talk was interpreted is that hydration doesn't matter. It is NOT what he said at all [...] he said it DOES matter, just maybe not as much as other things"

33:57 "...the point is, hydration IS still important, I am NOT saying it isn't a factor, but it is far from the most important factor"

"... Neal Pollock presented this at a DEMA show a couple of years ago, he didn't say it, but the way that talk was interpreted is that hydration doesn't matter. It is NOT what he said at all [...] he said it DOES matter, just maybe not as much as other things"

Literally can't prove it matters until you are clinically dehydrated to the point of causing other health problems.
In this case Woody's dive incident isn't because he skipped a water break.

I would like to see a bit of a round table discussion with a few experts (Doug Ebersole, Simon mitchell, David Doolette) on the pros and cons of in water recompression treatment immediately post dive.

Would also like to know if Woodie has been check for a PFO.

I note he uses GF 40/70 which is a bit outdated. He also mentioned that he adds a minute to his stop so this probably changes his further to something like 35/70?

Going for anything but a very short dive in a drysuit without a pee valve seems unacceptable to me, I would have to be dry as a bone not to have to pee in the first few minutes of any dive, and trying to hold it would make for a very unpleasant experience.
On the other hand, drinking unnecessary amounts of water to prevent dehydration due to concerns for DCE, raises the concern that overhydration might increase the risk of IPE. Just my opinion, not aware of being a certain fact.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom