Unknown Woody From “Dive Talk” DCS and Medical Journey

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some commentary for those who are not familiar with Abaco, and why DAN may have said flights were unavailable.
  1. Its located in a third world country with a dysfunctional central government, and limited local government. If you want to get things done in Abaco, you have to know who to call.

2. On September 1st of 2019, Marsh Harbour, the third largest metropolitan area in the Bahamas was effectively wiped off the map by Hurricane Dorian. This event caused substantial damage to the new "hospital" that was built a couple decades after announcing plans to build it. While a ton of aid money flooded into the country, see point #1.

3. Marsh Harbour International Airport is regularly underwater, the runway lighting system has been temperamental at best, and more often inoperative. And the runway lights were installed decades after plans were announced to update the airport. There is a control tower, but Hurricane Dorian put that out of service. The FBOs are not 24hr operations. DAN likely does not have the owner of Cherokee Aviation or Zig Zag or Jet Center's cell phone or home phone on file - so their information would likely say "we cant get a plane in until tomorrow." Locally, the knowledge is there as to which air ambulance operators will fly to MYAM at night, and which FBO will be there to open up. See point #1.

4. Princess Margaret Hospital in Nassau is a government run facility, yes, that same central government that takes 20 years to build an airport. It is the only public hospital straining to provide care to a population of 400k people and thousands of tourists in a country with limited budget. COVID placed tremendous stress on Princess Margaret Hospital, and knock on effects are still present.

Some commentary for those who are not familiar with Abaco, and why DAN may have said flights were unavailable.
  1. Its located in a third world country with a dysfunctional central government, and limited local government. If you want to get things done in Abaco, you have to know who to call.

2. On September 1st of 2019, Marsh Harbour, the third largest metropolitan area in the Bahamas was effectively wiped off the map by Hurricane Dorian. This event caused substantial damage to the new "hospital" that was built a couple decades after announcing plans to build it. While a ton of aid money flooded into the country, see point #1.

3. Marsh Harbour International Airport is regularly underwater, the runway lighting system has been temperamental at best, and more often inoperative. And the runway lights were installed decades after plans were announced to update the airport. There is a control tower, but Hurricane Dorian put that out of service. The FBOs are not 24hr operations. DAN likely does not have the owner of Cherokee Aviation or Zig Zag or Jet Center's cell phone or home phone on file - so their information would likely say "we cant get a plane in until tomorrow." Locally, the knowledge is there as to which air ambulance operators will fly to MYAM at night, and which FBO will be there to open up. See point #1.

4. Princess Margaret Hospital in Nassau is a government run facility, yes, that same central government that takes 20 years to build an airport. It is the only public hospital straining to provide care to a population of 400k people and thousands of tourists in a country with limited budget. COVID placed tremendous stress on Princess Margaret Hospital, and knock on effects are still present.
Bahamas are a major dive destination, DAN should have information on how to medvac people 24/7 back to Miami. They are useless in an emergency

Point 1. DAN said impossible for 24 hours.

Point 2. Woody and Gus secured a flight within an hour using google.

Bahamas are a major dive destination, DAN should have information on how to medvac people 24/7 back to Miami. They are useless in an emergency

Point 1. DAN said impossible for 24 hours.

Point 2. Woody and Gus secured a flight within an hour using google.
I'm guessing you have no clue where Marsh Harbour is. Abaco is NOT a major dive destination.

Maybe we have (or had) this overly optimistic belief that DAN is like an elite delta force team ready to spring into action to evacuate the injured or sick at the drop of a hat. The reality and the shear logistics of doing that outside the US is just not feasible at that level.

I said the Bahamas. DAN should be able to medvac from the Bahamas. Woody found a way…

Also, it’s pretty telling that woody got a flight within an hour, after Dan said it’d take 24 hours.
Yes, you said a country - of over 800 islands... I have no doubt that DAN could easily get someone out of Nassau. But that's a world away from Abaco.

While they found a plane on Google, I'm sure Brian was making some calls locally... the "coconut telegraph" is how stuff gets done there. And in case you think I don't have a clue what I am talking about, my family has owned property in the Abacos for 65 years. I spend a decent amount of time there.

Maybe we have (or had) this overly optimistic belief that DAN is like an elite delta force team ready to spring into action to evacuate the injured or sick at the drop of a hat. The reality and the shear logistics of doing that outside the US is just not feasible at that level.
That’s what they claimed to be. In emergency situations you are on your own, from what happened to Woody. He had to secure his own flight to get to a chamber. Then had to come outta pocket 18k to even start treatment. DAN couldn’t even get an ambulance in a timely manner, woody paid a security guard at the clinic to drive him to chamber

We disagree. It is possible to set up medvac flights. Woody did it with google and an Amex card. Pretty shocking a company dedicated to emergencies would take more than 20 times longer.

Another way to think about this.
Abaco to nasuu is something like 100 miles.
It cost him 10k

Again, step one is to have a ton of money.

Yes, you said a country - of over 800 islands... I have no doubt that DAN could easily get someone out of Nassau. But that's a world away from Abaco.

While they found a plane on Google, I'm sure Brian was making some calls locally... the "coconut telegraph" is how stuff gets done there. And in case you think I don't have a clue what I am talking about, my family has owned property in the Abacos for 65 years. I spend a decent amount of time there.
right. Abaco is 1 hour flight from Miami. It’s not that remote. I and many others here have been way more remote than the Bahamas lol. The proof is that woody obtained a medvac flight in an hour on his own. DAN should have contacts within Bahamas and South Florida to scoop people up for these emergencies. The kind of thing they claim to be the best at. They dropped the ball here and the only reason woody got it reimbursed is because he’s semi famous in dive community and they will try to correct the record.

Back
Top Bottom