WOO HOO, TG7 announced!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I've mentioned many times. Olympus TG5-6 and now 7 great choice for macro and the SUPER Macro capability. But smaller 1/2.33" sensor a bit lacking for wide angle compared to any 1" compact like Canon G7X (I, II or even III) as a stills camera.

All the 1" sensor Canon models have great video also. G7X , G7X II had 1080P in 60 FPS (frames per second) that looks great. G7X III has 4K but not worth at least to me.

Just one old guy's opinion:)

David Hasa

IMG_6105.jpegIMG_6134.jpeg

As I've mentioned many times. Olympus TG5-6 and now 7 great choice for macro and the SUPER Macro capability. But smaller 1/2.33" sensor a bit lacking for wide angle compared to any 1" compact like Canon G7X (I, II or even III) as a stills camera.

All the 1" sensor Canon models have great video also. G7X , G7X II have HD 1080P up to 60 FPS (frames per second) that looks great. G7X III has 4K but not worth it at least to me.

Just one old guy's opinion:)

David Hasa

View attachment 802526View attachment 802527

Guess my TG-4 will eventually be replaced by a Canon G7 something or other. This was a missed opportunity to step up to a 1" sensor, and a manual option for those wanting it. Who cares if it means a new case, that's the price you pay for actual hardware improvements. For those with TG-4's or older, it was going to be a new case anyway. To me, this is a disappointing release and should be really named TG-6 mk II because that's all it is at best.

I too hope there will be a TG Pro as was rumored before Olympus sold of the consumer photography to a holding group and they remaned the resulting company OM Systems. I am happy to see that OM Systems appears to be marginally profitable and has announced several upgrades to their more enthusisast oriented cameras. The TG series is a point and shoot. The tiny sensor is a no go. I like wide angle and as David points out, the TG is very limited. It does take superb macro and makes it easy! But the lack of full manual control results in a lot of soft and blurred images and the lack of a back button focus assignment to a function button also results in fish tails. They are what they are, a cute little camie that offers a surpsingly good macro experience and as long as that is good enough, the TG is good enough.

OM System, please, a Pro model with assignable functions (back button auto focus) and a one inch sensor and full manual control on dials that I can spin to the f stop or shutter speed and I am in like Flint! Please. Or Nauticam, why no housing for the PEN? I dunno.

You know, by the time video lights and strobes are hung on the TG, it really is larger than most much more capable mirrorless cameras. Folks have dual strobes and lights and what not on the TG and they get excellent results but the form factor is no longer very compact, in fact it becomes quite ungainly. At that point the hapless photographer enthusiast is teetering and tottering on the end of a springboard poised over a very deep pool of water :). And the water is fine, make the jump, it only sets you back $$$$$.

At that point the hapless photographer enthusiast is teetering and tottering on the end of a springboard poised over a very deep pool of water :). And the water is fine, make the jump, it only sets you back $$$$$.

That sounds very familiar! All I have to do is resist making the jump a second time!

That sounds very familiar! All I have to do is resist making the jump a second time!
Resistance is futile, the Force of a larger sensor is strong :gas:.

To be any thing other than second rate to a cell phone the thing needs a one inch sensor. And manual controls. But, really, I am sort of amazed that OM Systems did any update or even kept the TG in production. Good for them.

Resistance is futile, the Force of a larger sensor is strong :gas:.

It certainly is! If the GoPro Hero 12 had a 1 inch sensor as a lot of people predicted, I would have regretted buying the Hero 11 a few months back. As it is, the changes are very minor.

I'll be watching the development of the TG cameras with interest.

IOM System, please, a Pro model with assignable functions (back button auto focus) and a one inch sensor and full manual control on dials that I can spin to the f stop or shutter speed and I am in like Flint!

I was thinking about exactly this camera earlier today: so OM Systems - that's two of us who will buy it: get cracking. Please add a body that is waterproof to 60m, bayonet mount for wet lenses and built-in fiber optic sockets/led flash trigger. You can thank me later.

I truly do not understand the avoidance of manual control in both the TG series and Sealife cameras. If you add manual control dials and a 1" sensor you'll have a true underwater camera that would make many housed compacts redundant.

When was the last time someone made an advanced underwater camera - was it Nikonos?

When was the last time someone made an advanced underwater camera - was it Nikonos?

Sea & Sea had one too, the Motormarine.

I truly do not understand the avoidance of manual control in both the TG series and Sealife cameras. If you add manual control dials and a 1" sensor you'll have a true underwater camera that would make many housed compacts redundant.

For the exact reason you said in the last bit of your sentence.
They want to avoid internal canabilizing of their OM line. All brands do this.
If they released manual, it may detract sales of their OM line.
Pre-determined throttling or something is the term.

Possibly also because they're running out of money and don't want to spend on R&D to upskill the TG line. Slapping on a 1" sensor and adding manual is not difficult, but it costs money.

For the exact reason you said in the last bit of your sentence.
They want to avoid internal canabilizing of their OM line. All brands do this.
If they released manual, it may detract sales of their OM line.
Pre-determined throttling or something is the term.

Possibly also because they're running out of money and don't want to spend on R&D to upskill the TG line. Slapping on a 1" sensor and adding manual is not difficult, but it costs money.

You make a good point and I agree that is one way of looking at it. Another way is that they are building the wrong cameras for the wrong people, thus the lack of profitability that got them in this pickle to begin with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom