WOO HOO, TG7 announced!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My main camera is a EM1mkII, so no need for that. I use the TG5s when we're snorkeling or for a BHB trip where I don't feel like lugging the whole camera backpack.
I agree, my main underwater camera is an EPL10 but I'm getting ready to sell in and possibly buy a housing for my EM1-3. I dont really do a lot of underwater photography anymore so I might not even buy the housing for my EM1-3.

I'm glad to see any update at all. I had gotten the impression that OM Systems lacked the staff to do anything more than superficial updates. That doesn't make one want to commit to their platforms. Then again, this is a superficial update, with the main change being the addition of USB-C.

I think you'll find the TG6 and the TG7 don't come with supplied external battery charger. So, you could go 3rd party, but in this case the battery is designed to be charged inside the camera. Not having to remember to bring an extra USB-A<>Micro USB cable is a benefit in my mind. Being able to charge with the same charger and cable as my phone, tablet, and laptop is a big plus. If it charges faster, all the better. Have to wait and see.
I had a TG-4 before TG-6, and in my TG-4 the external cable drive just died. I could charge the battery only externally and I could download the pics only by taking the SD card out.

Here is a brief review from Backscatter:

"Dive into the Olympus TG-7!

The upgrades from TG-6 to TG-7 are mostly minor, with an emphasis on under-the-hood performance. The good news is that all of our favorite features, housings, and compatible accessories still work as great as always!

New Features:

•Redesigned camera body with improved textured grips for better handling.
•Enhanced color accuracy on the LCD screen to make your underwater colors pop
•USB-C connection for faster and more convenient data transfer.
•Processor improvements for faster menu navigation and settings adjustments
•Uses the same housing as the TG-6 for a seamless transition.
•Same fantastic features as the TG-6, including Super Macro Auto Focus to get up close and personal with the tiniest underwater critters.
•Compatible with all TG-6 accessories, including Backscatter M52 Wide Angle & Air Lenses.
•Utilizes the same Best Settings as TG-6, ensuring your photography game remains top-notch.

Stay tuned for our full underwater review - coming soon!

Order yours here: OM System Tough TG-7 Waterproof Camera

#OLYMPUStg7 #underwaterphotography #OMSYSTEM"

You can find this review on their Facebook page:

The only other improvement I have seen was in PetaPixel:

“While the TG-7 is very much like the TG-6 in numerous ways, there are some all-new features in the new OM System camera. The TG-7 can shoot vertical video and perform interval shooting, which is handy for creating timelapse videos. Further, the camera includes a USB-C port, whereas the TG-6 includes a USB-Micro port.”

From PetaPixel:
OM System's Tough TG-7 is a Rugged Companion for Outdoor Photographers

Most of the rest is the same:

“Like the TG-5 and TG-6, the OM System TG-7 has a 12-megapixel Type 1/2.33 inch image sensor and paired to the sensor is the same 25-100mm f/2-4.9 lens as before. The focal length is stated in 35mm-equivalent terms; the actual focal length is 4.5-18mm. “

Yes, back up for main camera, more compact for when the primary purpose of the dive/trip isn't photo, conditions don't allow for big photo/video kit and camera set for video when my main camera is set for still photo.

GoPro for video. Compact camera for stills. GoPro stills underwater have been really underwhelming for me. That said, the ridiculously high resolutions that the GoPro offers have allowed me to take some reasonable quality screen grabs from video. Never going to compete with a dedicated underwater camera setup, but might be good enough.

When I had a big camera rig, I'd put a GoPro on the hot shoe mount which covered a few more bases, BUT for a GoPro to produce good quality underwater footage without video lights, you need to be shallow with good visibility and lots of sunlight.

Where the GoPro excels is in being small and producing good quality wide angle footage for a relatively small amount of money. Traditional camera setups with a wide angle lens would cost a lot more and obviously be much bulkier. GoPro cameras are a lot better than they used to be with image stabilisation, better battery life and reliability. That said, the Hero 10 did seem to stand out for over-heating.

I think GoPro cameras or at least users get a bad reputation in the diving community because of unstable footage, poor lighting and poor or non-existent video editing.

As much as I would love to pretend to be worthy of a TG anything, I will stick to my SeaLife Micro. I suck at photography on dry land and my underwater skills reflect the same. Buying better gear isn't going to make me a better photographer.

I probably should have followed that rule when buying scuba gear, if I'm being honest.
Honesty has an amazing ability to keep money in the pocket.
As for me, I take decent photos. There are a large number of not so good.. but my audience is me, my personal enjoyment of the getting the shot, and some facebook friends. Since I am not blowing up photos or they are not being printed.. the TG-6 is just fine.
I had a TG-4 before TG-6, and in my TG-4 the external cable drive just died. I could charge the battery only externally and I could download the pics only by taking the SD card out.
I always charge uisng the adapter, and transfer using the SD slot on my computer.

As much as I was hoping the TG7 was packed with upgrades, I am happy that I can save my money and use the TG6 for a while. (no camera envy here!!!) Nice that the 7 uses the same housing and accessories.

Guess my TG-4 will eventually be replaced by a Canon G7 something or other. This was a missed opportunity to step up to a 1" sensor, and a manual option for those wanting it. Who cares if it means a new case, that's the price you pay for actual hardware improvements. For those with TG-4's or older, it was going to be a new case anyway. To me, this is a disappointing release and should be really named TG-6 mk II because that's all it is at best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom