Wondering where your stuff from overseas is? Shipaggedon!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder if the rail infrastructure is in place to get containers out of FL ports to elsewhere. I’ve only had stuff going into FL ports that stays in FL.
Jacksonville has great rail service. So Jacksonville started out as one of the largest overseas 'automobile' import/export ports. But 10 yrs ago really stepped it up for cargo. Their prices are the same as Savannah and a bit more than LA/Long bch. But here is why I've been switching>>>>Ship comes into port at 8am, is off loaded by 11am, on loaded by 2pm and back out on open ocean by 4pm same day. Since I'm in Orlando, my containers are thru customs/paperwork same day and I've got a truck in Orlando the next day by noon. I'm beating the LA blockade by 2-3 weeks. The ships are stopping in Kingston, Jamaica for fuel which is said to be 20% less on price than others so that cancels out the panama canal costs and with the new canal, it's 1 day traverse, no wait there either.

Jacksonville has great rail service. So Jacksonville started out as one of the largest overseas 'automobile' import/export ports. But 10 yrs ago really stepped it up for cargo. Their prices are the same as Savannah and a bit more than LA/Long bch. But here is why I've been switching>>>>Ship comes into port at 8am, is off loaded by 11am, on loaded by 2pm and back out on open ocean by 4pm same day. Since I'm in Orlando, my containers are thru customs/paperwork same day and I've got a truck in Orlando the next day by noon. I'm beating the LA blockade by 2-3 weeks. The ships are stopping in Kingston, Jamaica for fuel which is said to be 20% less on price than others so that cancels out the panama canal costs and with the new canal, it's 1 day traverse, no wait there either.

Depends on where that rail service goes. Doesn’t go any good for JAX to compete with LA/LGB, if the trains can’t get to Chicago, for example.

None of the FL ports can take a fully loaded Panamax, or whatever they're called, monstership. Port Everglades is in the midst of USACE permitting now.

The Economist recently reported that the average world price of shipment of a standard 40 ft container has reached $10K. This is 3 times the January's price and 10 times the pre-Covid-19 price. I am sure the price hike will be passed down to us, customers, so I beg Mr Biden to print more money.
The more that's printed the less it's worth so we need more which is printed that's makes the money worth less so we need more...........

Pretty sure the biggest of the containers ships are bigger than the panamax. If they are going to the east coast, it is a long way around.

As far as rail goes I know the UP line runs from Long Beach all the way to Florida. Amtrak runs it. There is still a good cross country rail network in the states. I have no doubt there is a major rail line north out of Florida.

The more that's printed the less it's worth so we need more which is printed that's makes the money worth less so we need more..........

We have a fix for that: blockchain. No need to print anything, we just capture more electrons and send them down the wires.

Or was it a series of tubes?

We have a fix for that: blockchain. No need to print anything, we just capture more electrons and send them down the wires.

Or was it a series of tubes?
Same result, very disheartening, this kind of action (phony money, worthless in whatever form) has never ended well and it likely won't this time either.

Same result, very disheartening, this kind of action (phony money, worthless in whatever form) has never ended well and it likely won't this time either.

I believe in the old fashioned way, bullion gold!!

You can't eat gold, or fire it out of a gun.
That's because that's not what ya use gold for, however I do cast lead bullets so sub gold and I could!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom