Wondering where your stuff from overseas is? Shipaggedon!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The BN is also greatly limiting trains to Chicago from the west coast. The east coast railroads (CSX & NS) are doing the same. Ugh.
Canada also seems to have rail issues? A vinegar producer in Ontario is sending a tanker truck to BC with a load because the train car full of vinegar has gotten delayed with no ETA. That is 5 days drive west followed by 5 days return empty trip. I expect prices on lots of things will be going up if this continues...

Canada also seems to have rail issues? A vinegar producer in Ontario is sending a tanker truck to BC with a load because the train car full of vinegar has gotten delayed with no ETA. That is 5 days drive west followed by 5 days return empty trip. I expect prices on lots of things will be going up if this continues...

Yes. Due to the wildfires in BC, both the CP and CN tracks were shut down. Something like 40 vessels at anchor off Vancouver last week waiting to get a berth. Last I checked, the CP line was open, but both railroads were sharing the CP line.

Lot of the stuff through Vancouver and Prince Rupert rails to the US, primarily Chicago, but a smaller amount to Minneapolis.

Heard a fact yesterday that 25% of US intermodal freight goes through Chicago. I’d definitely believe it. All six Class I railroads come through here.

Any thoughts on containers coming over from Germany? I've been waiting on a parcel that was too large to ship via their limited air service for well over a month now. Coming via DHL's regular service (not the courier arm), bound for Vancouver, Canada. My guess is it'll enter Canada back east.

Any thoughts on containers coming over from Germany? I've been waiting on a parcel that was too large to ship via their limited air service for well over a month now. Coming via DHL's regular service (not the courier arm), bound for Vancouver, Canada. My guess is it'll enter Canada back east.

Containers from Europe are a hot mess, too.

It’s worldwide.

Probably into Montreal, Halifax, or St. John’s.

Containers from Europe are a hot mess, too.

It’s worldwide.

Probably into Montreal, Halifax, or St. John’s.
Any thoughts on why Germany/DHL mail, not Express, is limiting cargo flights? Sounds like a dumb question perhaps, but the UK is able to ship via air, so I'm curious why Germany can't/won't.

I had a comparable sized box arrive from England in just a couple weeks, yet Germany can only ship such items via sea at the moment.

Any thoughts on why Germany/DHL mail, not Express, is limiting cargo flights? Sounds like a dumb question perhaps, but the UK is able to ship via air, so I'm curious why Germany can't/won't.

I had a comparable sized box arrive from England in just a couple weeks, yet Germany can only ship such items via sea at the moment.

Sorry, no clue. Could simply be too much cargo. Big issue right now. People can’t get stuff via ocean so they’re switching to air freight. Lack of passenger flights also affects things as a lot of cargo rides in the belly of passenger planes.

Although DHL probably runs cargo only flights.

Sorry, no clue. Could simply be too much cargo. Big issue right now. People can’t get stuff via ocean so they’re switching to air freight. Lack of passenger flights also affects things as a lot of cargo rides in the belly of passenger planes.

Although DHL probably runs cargo only flights.
Yeah, I thought passenger planes at first since Canada isn't letting anyone in, but the UK managed to get a parcel to my via air, and this was just regular Royal Mail, so how'd they swing that, I wonder?

DHL has no explanation on their website either; just coloured dots indicating where they've managed to resume regular service to or not. All kinds of tiny tropical islands have 'green' service, but Canada and the US are still in the 'yellow' zone.

@annasea

I ordered Kubi gloves and then some spare O ring kits from the UK a few months apart in the spring. US dealers seemed to be out of stock. I’m in the Chicago area, which is a major air hub. I ordered on Sunday, they shipped Monday, and I received them Tuesday for both packages. Shocked me.

International shipping from Europe seems to be very fast right now. My wife got some clothes from Scotland last week. Took 5 days via regular mail. I think that's "Royal Mail" in scotland and USPS on our end.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom