Wondering where your stuff from overseas is? Shipaggedon!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buying and relying on cheap stuff from China isn't cheap at all after all.
Depends on what you're buying. US made electronics (for consumers, that is) are almost completely nonexistent. Even components that are sold by companies held in the US are made overseas (for example your iPhone or Android phone). We made our bed decades ago in this regard and will continue to lie in it until there's some incentive for companies to manufacture onshore.

If anyone really needs anything from overseas, just pay my ticket and I'll go get it for you.

If anyone really needs anything from overseas, just pay my ticket and I'll go get it for you.

Haha. Tell that to a company that has a 40ft container of parts waiting for a month in LA to get on the train to Chicago.

Haha. Tell that to a company that has a 40ft container of parts waiting for a month in LA to get on the train to Chicago.

ok. so it may take me a while...

There is stuff that simply can’t be sourced elsewhere. When the additional China tariffs when into effect a few years ago, I had multiple customers who were unable to source their components from elsewhere. What they needed was ONLY made in China.

Many airlines offer this sort of shipping service directly so you'd only end up paying for a one-way ticket. I have no idea if a person flies with your stuff or not - I kind of doubt it as they'd make more money throwing it in the hold and selling the seat to a person both.

Many airlines offer this sort of shipping service directly so you'd only end up paying for a one-way ticket. I have no idea if a person flies with your stuff or not - I kind of doubt it as they'd make more money throwing it in the hold and selling the seat to a person both.

These are called hand carries. I’ve handled customs clearances on them. I don’t about airlines offering them, but they’re often set up through freight forwarders for existing customers.

Just read an article in Seafarer that the companies are buying ships sitting in the scrap yards to be cheaply refurbished to return to the industry. This in turn is making scrap prices go up and making other retired vessels go at a premium. Things have to be hot to try and refurbish a boat slated to be scrapped.

The BN is also greatly limiting trains to Chicago from the west coast. The east coast railroads (CSX & NS) are doing the same. Ugh.

Just read an article in Seafarer that the companies are buying ships sitting in the scrap yards to be cheaply refurbished to return to the industry. This in turn is making scrap prices go up and making other retired vessels go at a premium. Things have to be hot to try and refurbish a boat slated to be scrapped.

Wow. Hadn’t heard that! There were a ton of ships scrapped around 2009-2010. Everyone wishes we had those now.

Back
Top Bottom