Wondering where your stuff from overseas is? Shipaggedon!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took the boat over to the mainland from Catalina the other day for a doctor's appt and was shocked to see so many container ships on anchor outside Long Beach harbor

Thanks for confirmation of that. It’s just a hot mess.

And it keeps getting worse.

40 ships at anchor off LA/LGB. That’s a new record. The crap is now rolling to Oakland. 10 ships at anchor there.

Ocean carriers are cancelling sailings because they don’t have ships to put into the gap caused by the delays. Usually China shuts down for two weeks at Chinese New Year. This year, the medical and consumer goods manufacturers are going to keep working.

This will probably continue until well into the spring.

It seems that the situation in not improving. A lot of worried sailors on these ships.

TDB-L-STORM-SHIPS-0127-02-BM-3.jpg

212caships.jpg

Have the people at the receiving end at the port done anything to improve the situation? If the cause is just more stuff being shipped, then it seems to me like the situation won't improve unless something significant changes at existing ports and/or new ports are opened. Although I seem to have no problems getting things sent directly to me from overseas, I've encountered problems buying things that should be available in US retail stores. I'm thinking if something is sent to me directly it comes in via plane or a port on the east coast. The situation is definitely hurting retailers (best buy, crap mart, target, etc). Maybe some of those need to further diversify and open a few new ports.

Have the people at the receiving end at the port done anything to improve the situation? If the cause is just more stuff being shipped, then it seems to me like the situation won't improve unless something significant changes at existing ports and/or new ports are opened. Although I seem to have no problems getting things sent directly to me from overseas, I've encountered problems buying things that should be available in US retail stores. I'm thinking if something is sent to me directly it comes in via plane or a port on the east coast. The situation is definitely hurting retailers (best buy, crap mart, target, etc). Maybe some of those need to further diversify and open a few new ports.

Suggest you read this article. Really good one that explains a lot of the many different moving parts.
‘I’ve Never Seen Anything Like This’: Chaos Strikes Global Shipping

There were up to 800 LA dockworkers out due to covid (either had it or had to quarantine). That’s part of it. Also, there is a ton more stuff being shipped. You say “open new ports” like it’s nothing. It’s a multiple year project. You also have to consider road and railroad infrastructure to match.

Although I seem to have no problems getting things sent directly to me from overseas, I've encountered problems buying things that should be available in US retail stores.

IME almost all the consumer purchases from overseas come through airmail, so the port situation would only indirectly affect those packages.

But even that was backed up, early on during the pandemic it was taking 3 months to go Europe to the US via airmail (saver). Due to the lack of passenger volume, airlines stopped flying, and most trans-Oceanic mail crosses in the hold of an airplane (that is why they are such a pain about bags). It was so bad that the Japan Post stopped shipping to a number of countries, and at least twice the USPS took their backlog of trans-Atlantic packages and put them on a container ship to get them to Europe.

I haven't looked into trans-Atlantic shipping but trans-Pacific seems to have gotten the back log under control.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom