Womens wetsuit or semi-dry suggestions for tall and skinny?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

c_star

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,

Anyone have any suggestions for women's suits that tend to be longer that average through the legs?

I have an impending liveaboard trip over on Big Island at the end of this month, and for the past couple of weeks I've been trying to track down a good 7mm wetsuit or 5 to 7mm semi-dry that will actually fit me. I've tried on a few (XCEL and Camaro) that didn't work out so I've been eating shipping costs.

Currently I'm diving in an Aqualung aquaflex 7mm but it's gotten a bit crushed (and it's 2"-3" too short for me) and I've been getting cold on one or two dives at a time. I don't think it's going to work for me on 5 dives a day, and I really want to be warm and enjoy myself on the liveaboard.

I am relatively tall (5'6") and skinny, I'm very small framed. Going by most manufacturers size charts I fall in the XS range on measurements and weight, and the small range on height.

Most people here dive in 3mm or less so shops don't carry what I'm looking for, so getting to try on in a shop isn't happening.

Thanks for any suggestions!

I keep considering dry but haven't quite gotten motivated enough for the extra weight and sweat on the way to the water since we mostly shore dive. I'm getting there though, trying on so many suits that don't fit and looking at so many size charts that put me between two or three different sizes has been frustrating.

C-star,

Have you checked out the Isurus Wetsuits? They are made of the most premium quality Yamamoto neoprene and are a semi-dry suit. There are 14 different sizes, which helps a lot for getting that perfect fit if you are in between sizes. They have become very popular amongst the guys surfing Mavericks in Half-Moon-Bay, Northern California. We have fallen in love with them scuba diving here in North Carolina.

-Patton

Have you checked out the Isurus Wetsuits?

I checked out their size chart and the XS range starts at 13 lbs heavier than I am and goes to 130 so I suspect I'd be swimming in it. I've tried on men's wetsuits before and the ones I've tried often fit in the legs and then are way too big through the waist and shoulders. I need a women's specific suit for the shaping. Thanks though.

Hello, I'm Vera from Aqualandwetsuits, Greece.We have a small factory and manufacture all kinds of wetsuits from 1,5mm to 7mm, and we recently made an on line store.Maybe it sounds like an advertisement , but I accidentally saw your discussion , and since our wetsuits are custom-made, perhaps we could help you. Take a look at our website www.aqualandwetsuits.com and I would be happy to answer to your questions.
Best regards
Vera

Have you tried Henderson wetsuits? I'm shorter and skinnier than the average male (5'5 at 125-130lbs) and had a Henderson Glacier that fit me well girth wise but was a bit too long in the inseam. You might want to consider a semi-dry suit such as the Scubapro Nova Scotia or the Mares Isotherm, which are meant to be worn looser but have seals at the neck and the extremities. You won't have to find something that fits "perfectly" in order to keep warm. The Mares runs short in my opinion. If you're going to mail order then order from a company that allows returns and that won't charge you to exchange the suit (Leisure Pro I believe does this, but do check with them first).

As far as self donning a back-zip semi-dry, it can be easily be done with an extended lanyard. Don't laugh but I used a long SATA cable, which I looped around the zipper's large T-Handle. Removed it after closing the zipper.

Claude

I had the same problem at 5'10" , 145lb. I bought a womens XXL semi dry for CA diving! It is a store brand made in Canada. I eventually had it taken in the chest area because I don't have all that. I also had 3" added to the sleeves! All for only $50.

People have told me that I could have had a custom suit made for $300 or so. It turned out to be a wash.

I purchased a neoprene dry suit, Mares She Dives. That has been awesome. Still hot before getting into the water, but nice to be dry and warm! So far I haven't had to adjust diving with it because weighting is the same as my 7mm. I have yet to have a run away. This suit was a close out so the same price as a semi dry. I don't have $ for a custom trilaminate !

Good luck.

Hey, thanks for the tips! Who did the alterations on the first suit you mentioned, Selchie?

I ended up getting another Aqualung suit, the SolaFX. It's like a semi-dry lite, not quite truly a semi dry but a lot of extra features to minimize water sloshing in and out. Fit's not perfect but it's as close as I've been able to get so far. I wouldn't mind having a few extra inches stitched onto the legs! At least in this one I don't have a ton of space around the underarms and chest, that's been one of my usual problems.

Vera, thank you for the link. Your suits look good and am bookmarking for the future.

Claude, Henderson suits were on my list but I was getting tired of the back and forth shipping. A lot of places that offer free returns exclude Hawaii on that. And I love that you extended your zipper with a SATA cable ;p

C_star I'm in Long Beach, CA. I went to Teresa of New Wave in Fullerton, CA (714) 744-1365. She has been in the wetsuit business forever.

I too have a semi-dry. It was so big in the torso she took 4 inches out, so I know about water sloshing inside the suit! Now with longer sleeves my hands don't get as cold so fast. Teresa is great, knowledgeable and fast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom