Women's thoughts/concerns requested for new OW students

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just wanted to let those reviewing this post... the 6 ladies in the class have been been appreciative of the tips I have had for them. The wording went smoothly, so thanks for that recommendation. The class has a 17 y.o., 3 in their mid 20s to mid 30s, a late 40s and a 68 y.o., so it really is all over the map.

We have done 2 class sessions and one pool session so far.

Scubapatton
A problem that I have had that really is not an issue for guys is the 3 minute safety stop at the end of the dive. I am a little bottom heavy and I have a very difficult time staying at 15 ft for 3 minutes if I am just hanging out at the end of the dive. In fact, I used to get panicked if there was no line to hang on to at the end of the dive. Thankfully on my last trip a gentleman was also having the same issue. He shifted some of his weights to the back of his weight belt and had success. I tried this and it actually worked. I have recently upgraded my BC to weight integrated and will be testing it out soon, but I did ensure that there are pockets in the back for weights. Just a helpful hint that someone may be embarassed to ask.

When you get to the Open Water portion...it should remain fun. Remember, in general, women are about the journey...not the destination. They'll be talking more about the cool things they saw underwater than how well they did their skills.

I'm thinking you are still warm down there...but my "all girl" classes emphasize warmth...chocolate...ah, and more warmth!! If you keep 'em warm (also meaning well fed, as that's what produces the warmth) then they'll have pleasant open water times!

Just curious, why have a DM shadow the older female why not her buddy? That's a great teaching tool for the class, they learn how to have a conversation with a buddy regarding strengths and weaknesses. You can ingrain "looking after their buddy" into everyone's diving habits and teach them it's ok to ask for help with something if you need it and it's ok to offer help when you see someone struggling. Remember, women tend to be nuturers (sp?) and team oriented, use that to your advantage and take your OW student's awareness of buddymanship to another level. Don't be afraid to raise the bar high and cheer them on!
Ber :lilbunny:

Back
Top Bottom