Women's thoughts/concerns requested for new OW students

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapatton

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am a male instructor with PADI and am teaching a class that has 6 women in it ranging from 17 years old to 68 years old. I have taught a number of women in the past and have been successful with them, but want to make sure with such a large age range to make sure I am offering the right mix for everyone. The oldest woman I have instructed before this class was in her very early 50s. I have already instructed the DM to basically help the 68 year old woman at every instance with respect to her gear, etc. She (the DM) will be the student's shadow. Obviously the references for things we go over will vary based on their age range, but I really want to be considerate insofar as women-specific issues as well.

We have done the Class 1 (Orientation/Gear discussion) only so far and will be starting the Knowledge Reviews tonight with the first pool session on Wednesday.

Any insight would be appreciated. Please save the bashing (if any) for another thread.

Thank you in advance.

Honestly, I can't see why instruction for a woman would be any different than for a man. I guess my only suggestion would be to be aware of the fact that women might be a little more reluctant to mention "fit" issues with gear. I know that was one of the most challenging of gearing up - most rental gear is for men and so it doesn't always fit right.

you just never know, the 68 year old might have fewer issues dealing with gear than someone else in the class. I'd say, make no assumptions about anything.

I would also suggest you not patronize anyone because of their sex or age. There is a woman around here who still competes in powerlifting competitions and she is in her 60's. Having DM shadow her and help at every instance without being asked for it does not create a competent diver. No matter what the sex. Treat all of them equally. The 17 yr old will appreciate being treated like an adult and the mature lady will be flattered that she is being treated like a 17 yr old. If they need help then give it. Do not assume someone is helpless or incompetent due to their age. If you feel that right off the bat this woman needs a shadow maybe scuba is not for her. Or have you jumped the gun with this judgement? And why should references vary based on age? A diver is a diver. So what if one remembers Cousteau and one has only heard of him? You seem to be throwing too many compliocations into this that could come back and bite you in the tookus. This is not bashing- simply the observations of a DM who has worked with different instructors, seen different instructors teach, and saw things that they could not because there was no mirror or video tape handy.

I certainly am not making assumptions. The 68 year old did mention she has some arthritic issues - I have not clarified a specific area yet (am planning on doing so tonight). Most of our rental gear is male-based so I have learned to put that in mind. WE do have the wetsuits for ladies but I have seen some women real shy about the size and fit. Great point about being sensitive on the fit issue.

Sarita - the instruction itself will not vary drastically - my style is to change as the situation needs it - not male or female specific, but I do want to make sure I am sensitive to specific matters. I am pretty confident with my male-student handling, and feel strong with my female-student handling. I was a junior high school teacher in Japan for 2 years so learned quite quickly on the 12-15 year-old gender differences.

And because of my time there, the 68 year-old has already expressed a high amount of relief - she is a Japanese woman and her big initial concern was a potential language barrier.

One question that I have heard women talking about in somewhat hushed tones around other male instructors is whether they can dive during their periods. I would love to hear opinions on this... Here in SoCal many new divers' biggest fear of wild life centers around sharks. I have learned that between the small amount of blood the body actually loses that is not taken care of by feminine products, coupled with the high iron content of the expunged blood itself is not something sharks want anything to do with. Therefore, it is essentially a non-issue from the physical side. I do realize women respond differently to stress and tasks when PMSing, and may do so as well during the actual period (eg cramps, etc). What would be the preferred way of handling, in the women diver's minds, from a male instructor?

I am a male instructor with PADI and am teaching a class that has 6 women in it ranging from 17 years old to 68 years old. I have taught a number of women in the past and have been successful with them, but want to make sure with such a large age range to make sure I am offering the right mix for everyone. The oldest woman I have instructed before this class was in her very early 50s. I have already instructed the DM to basically help the 68 year old woman

I haven't seen any problems that specifically apply being female, however being old is a different story.

You should verify what kind of shape your 68 year old student is in, since most elderly people have some amount of arthritis or other physical problems. (I know it's hard to believe, but as you get older, things you abused in your youth come back for their revenge).

There's no reason to cause any more damage, or make things harder than necessary, so your elderly students might be happier (and safer) putting their gear on in the water, and might need a hand carrying tanks.

While I'm certain there will be people from the "suck-it-up-and-deal-with-it" school who won't like this, getting old is a fact of life and there's no reason to injure your students while trying to teach them to dive safely.

Terry

JimLap, I was writing my response while yours posted apparently. Needless to say, I am not making assumptions. I am looking for insight from other divers. Big difference. The reason the 68 year old needs a shadow (POTENTIALLY) is because of the arthritic issue - the DM is not going to hover over the woman's shoulder, she will just be nearby most times. She MAY have an issue carrying the gear, putting on and taking off the gear etc depending on the severity of her arthritis. You may want to treat her equally to a 17 year-old, but because of potential physical limitations, and because it is my neck on the line for her and not yours, I will have to treat her differently.. Not less equally, just differently. To say she should not dive if she needs a shadow is blatantly wrong. ("If you feel that right off the bat this woman needs a shadow maybe scuba is not for her.") That may be true, but until I see her in the pool, and she sees herself in the pool, it is impossible to tell now. A shadow can help, not do the skills for her. Nowhere in any literature I have read does it say all divers must don their own gear, must enter the water with all gear donned, and must exit said gear with NO assistance. That is all I am asking of a shadow.

It is because I look for views, opinions and insights that I seem to be one of the higher sought after instructors at my store - I am not passing judgment, I am giving 2-3 paragraphs as a summation of a combined 223 years of life among 6 women. Since I have no desire to go through that much writing, I am forcing myself to give brief summations. I already know to treat everyone like an adult, to not dawdle on little things to the point of potentially embarrassing the student, and since I learned while my instruction-path sessions were video-taped, I already have an inkling of my style, my tells, and my idiosyncrasies.

I haven't seen any problems that specifically apply being female, however being old is a different story.

You should verify what kind of shape your 68 year old student is in, since most elderly people have some amount of arthritis or other physical problems. (I know it's hard to believe, but as you get older, things you abused in your youth come back for their revenge).

There's no reason to cause any more damage, or make things harder than necessary, so your elderly students might be happier (and safer) putting their gear on in the water, and might need a hand carrying tanks.

While I'm certain there will be people from the "suck-it-up-and-deal-with-it" school who won't like this, getting old is a fact of life and there's no reason to injure your students while trying to teach them to dive safely.

Terry

That is what I was thinking and why I mentioned the DM shadow. Thank you for that view.

One question that I have heard women talking about in somewhat hushed tones around other male instructors is whether they can dive during their periods. I would love to hear opinions on this... Here in SoCal many new divers' biggest fear of wild life centers around sharks. I have learned that between the small amount of blood the body actually loses that is not taken care of by feminine products, coupled with the high iron content of the expunged blood itself is not something sharks want anything to do with. Therefore, it is essentially a non-issue from the physical side. I do realize women respond differently to stress and tasks when PMSing, and may do so as well during the actual period (eg cramps, etc). What would be the preferred way of handling, in the women diver's minds, from a male instructor?

Personally I think the best way for you to handle this is in a forthright, clinical way. Given age, and cultural differences, you might preface that discussion with a statement along the lines of "I know this is an uncomfortable subject, but there are a few things you need to be aware of for your own safety and comfort." Then just dive right in. Be sure to use clinical terms, like menstruation rather than "period"- it makes you feel more like you are at the Dr. :wink:. I think you said earlier that your DM is female? If so, this might be a good chance to let her do some lecture, and you can hang in the back of the room "out of sight, out of mind" and all that.

Now, on to the physical questions: Yes, soem women do react differently to stress at different points in the menstrual cycle- all you need to tell them is that "SCUBA diving is supposed to be fun, so if you aren't having fun you need to let me or (insert DM's name) know, so we can help you change that." Some women find diving during menstruation uncomfortable, they worry about "leakage" and it just seems "icky", others aren't bothered or slowed down froma ny activity, so you will just have to play it by ear. Just be sure to stress that if they do find it uncomfortable or unpleasant, that is perfectly acceptable.

Good luck, I think you'll do just fine (and probably have a lot of fun with this group).

Heather

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom